Swing / SickTheramin

Special collaborative projects managed by SynthMaker users

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

Swing / SickTheramin

Postby mwvdlee on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Building on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9669

These swingers approaches a target value, kinda like the Zip or the Slide, but has a few parameters that enable it to approach the target in a non-linear manner as opposed to the aforementioned modules.

Attached file demonstrates it:
Swinger.osm
(4.15 KiB) Downloaded 369 times

Other possibilities for similar effects would be bounce, slow-to-fast, delay or a wait-for-target-to-stop-changing.
Another neat possibilitie would be a module that doesn't stop when reaching a target, but calculates interia while the target is changing and slows it down based on inertia after dragging is stopped; allows you to drag&throw instead of drag&drop :)

Note that if you want to use this to drag stuff around (i.e. windows, controls), you'll need to make the drag area itself invisible and non-swinging.
Last edited by mwvdlee on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
My current top SynthMaker bug:
    1. MIDI Input issue (showstopper, no workaround)
    2. All my previous bugs in SM1.7, because bug 1 makes SM2 worse than SM1.7
mwvdlee
smanatic

Re: Swing

Postby trogluddite on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Very nice :D
Instantly makes me think 'Physical Modelling' - and all in green too! This could be great for any kind of 'generative' music or modulation, with a GUI based on 'physical' objects that you can wobble and throw. The same algorithm in a stream would be a great start for simulating pipes/bars/tines/strings etc.
Brings to mind that old Aphex Twin (I think) track made out of a sample of a bouncing ball-bearing.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby Tzarls on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:40 am

This is great! Could be used to replace the LFO used in the cable project for the bouncing effect of the patch cables.

Maybe could be used to build some kind of manually-driven bouncing modulation source...... mmmmm!
Tzarls
smanatic

Postby infuzion on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:36 am

Really neat mwvdlee, thanks for sharing! Not too bad on CPU also. :)
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby mwvdlee on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:49 am

trogluddite wrote:This could be great for any kind of 'generative' music or modulation, with a GUI based on 'physical' objects that you can wobble and throw.

Shouldn't be that hard to convert coordinates to sound:
Swinger.osm
(4.53 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

;)
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby stw on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:40 am

mwvdlee wrote:
trogluddite wrote:This could be great for any kind of 'generative' music or modulation, with a GUI based on 'physical' objects that you can wobble and throw.

Shouldn't be that hard to convert coordinates to sound:
The attachment Swinger.osm is no longer available

;)

lol :D this is damn cool. Could play for hours with it. Thanks for that!
I just added an amp and a sound shut off for border breach to save our ears! And for further pleasing a panning option.
Attachments
Swinger-adds.osm
(18.19 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
stw
smanatic

Postby philter5 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:19 am

OMG mwvdlee you´re a genius that is so f**king cool!!! imagine this control added to a theremin -style instrument
to display the portamento or something like this :love: :love: :love:

great job!

phil
---Yes, a piece of software CAN be your best friend---
philter5
smaniac

Postby stw on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 am

philter5 wrote:OMG mwvdlee you´re a genius that is so f**king cool!!! imagine this control added to a theremin -style instrument
to display the portamento or something like this :love: :love: :love:

great job!

phil

Hah, neat idea! ;)
Here's a first approach based on AMs quad formant filter. No optimizations included.
Have fun...

Maybe it's time to place the thread inside the examples forum?
Attachments
sicktheremin.osm
new version with limited xy values
(178.71 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
stw
smanatic

Postby mwvdlee on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:34 pm

stw wrote:Here's a first approach based on AMs quad formant filter. No optimizations included.
Have fun...
Maybe it's time to place the thread inside the examples forum?

That's a nice one :) Had fun toying around with it and much nicer sounding than a simple wave.
Vertical axis seems flipped.
Wonder what more can be done... how about using the "elastic band" distance or angle as a parameter, or the speeds?
How about using the mouse buttons for something?
Maybe the entire topic could be moved to examples, I don't think it'd be particularly smart to open yet another topic based on another topic.

Update; here's an update of the STW's theramin with some tweaked graphics and a button detection (press LMB to increase volume, let go to let it drop). Why? Because we can! :)
In order for decent sound generation, the swingers should really be implemented as streams.
SickTheremin0002.osm
(183.84 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby Dell on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:07 pm

I've only downloaded the first OSM however, it reminds me of a Yo-Yo or possibly hitting the rubber ball on the wooden racket with a string attached. :)
Dell
essemilian

Postby Jay on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:59 pm

They are all brilliant fun! really cool idea!

Its like an Aboriginal bullroarer instrument! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kf_RYVt2XQ

22% in task manager and 25% in SM on the XP, Core 2, 3gigs ram machine i am sitting at now!

Great stuff guys :D
The history of science shows that theories are perishable.With every new truth that is revealed,we get a better understanding of Nature and our conceptions and views are modified. - Nikola Tesla.
http://www.energeticforum.com/renewable-energy/
Jay
essemilian

Postby mwvdlee on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Jay wrote:22% in task manager and 25% in SM on the XP, Core 2, 3gigs ram machine i am sitting at now!

Most of that performance is probably in that tiny wire attached to the ball and mouse pointer; it's redraw area can get a bit huge. Being a line, somebody may be able to construct a smart area thingy for it that doesn't cover quite so much space :)
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby stw on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:51 pm

This thing is really crazy. Wild updates mwvdlee! :D
Here comes the next version. Swing and Damp are available on the front panel. Additionally you can record the mouse movement. The buffer is limited to 10s. Right click toggles record mode. For playback use the button.
An automated button press for volume isn't implemented yet (mwvdlees updates crossed mine :) ) So you have to manually trigger the button in playback mode right now.
And yes someone should stream the swinger... ;)
Attachments
SickTheremin0003.osm
(202.55 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
stw
smanatic

Postby mwvdlee on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:10 pm

stw wrote:This thing is really crazy. Wild updates mwvdlee! :D
Here comes the next version. Swing and Damp are available on the front panel. Additionally you can record the mouse movement. The buffer is limited to 10s. Right click toggles record mode. For playback use the button.
An automated button press for volume isn't implemented yet (mwvdlees updates crossed mine :) ) So you have to manually trigger the button in playback mode right now.
And yes someone should stream the swinger... ;)

Record doesn't seem to work for me.
How do you enable recording mode?
Anyway, I'll try to make a stream swinger. Pretty much anything animated is better with streams anyway; the tickers are totally unsuitable for any linear animation.
Perhaps this one should be move to projects instead, seems like a fun thing to try and complete as a team. Or atleast a fun project to try out weird stuff you can't use elsewhere.
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby MichaelBenjamin on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:23 pm

this is pretty funny to play around with, great work.
MichaelBenjamin
smaniac

Next

Return to Projects