Swing / SickTheramin

Special collaborative projects managed by SynthMaker users

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

Re: Swing / SickTheramin

Postby infuzion on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:58 pm

stw wrote:Update: A first very rough implement of the view tabs.
Installed a master filter and did some bug hunting.
EDIT: Sorry for the short update but since it's only downloaded once here's a new version with a few fixes.
Something happened with v14a, but some of these issues may or may not be new:
1) Ball's volume seems to grow too slow. edit: Sometimes... at first seems too slow, but now is OK
2) Doesn't make sound unless being moved. Might be a good alt function, but I like the LMB down = on.
2a) May need smoothing if the move=sound method is kept.
3) Ball can leave view area
4) Phonemic filter is switched when you move a LMB down over the selector, like by accident when you are moving the ball.
5) Ball moves without mouse buttons, so you really don't have control over it.
6) Missing line from center point of mouse.

cheers
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby stw on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:02 pm

infuzion wrote:
stw wrote:Update: A first very rough implement of the view tabs.
Installed a master filter and did some bug hunting.
EDIT: Sorry for the short update but since it's only downloaded once here's a new version with a few fixes.
Something happened with v14a, but some of these issues may or may not be new:
1) Ball's volume seems to grow too slow. edit: Sometimes... at first seems too slow, but now is OK
2) Doesn't make sound unless being moved. Might be a good alt function, but I like the LMB down = on.
2a) May need smoothing if the move=sound method is kept.
3) Ball can leave view area
4) Phonemic filter is switched when you move a LMB down over the selector, like by accident when you are moving the ball.
5) Ball moves without mouse buttons, so you really don't have control over it.
6) Missing line from center point of mouse.

cheers

Hi Infuzion,
1) Maybe a matter of green timing. However visual and audio fades are not really synced. For now it's more like a approximation.
2) Yes, but that depends on the seetings you set on the knobs. In this case the filter cf is turned down and modulated by the force value. So it opens with movement. Turn up cf and you'll hear the sound. BTW: The filter implement is only thrown in for further treatment. So e.g. it lacks a on/off button.
3) By purpose if bounce mode isn't active!
4) Hm, thought that was changed already. However it'll be in the next update.
5) Do a right click and you'll fetch it. Right click also releases the ball.
6) can be changed at the properties.
stw
smanatic

Postby stw on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Ok here's the next one.
Changes: Implemented the ASM otpmized swinger from the last tab osm and 4packed them. I added the external bounce enabeling to the code Hopped the code for the graphics. Some good CPU reduce...
Some cleaning of the whole osm.
Implemented a bumper OSC. The settings can be done on the new "Bumper" tab.
All changes are not fully tested. So i guess there's lot of room for enhancememts and bug hunting... 3:)

Have fun...

P.S. I need some sleep!
Attachments
SickTheremin0015.osm
(236.88 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
stw
smanatic

v0016

Postby infuzion on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:28 am

stw wrote:The settings can be done on the new "Bumper" tab.
I was looking for a way to turn that thing off for 10 minutes until looked at the bottom. :o
BTW, when I said "tabs", I meant these tabs, Where there would be only 2 tabs on top, one for the XY pad, & other for all the knobs, prefs, etc. Pop-up tabs could work also, but everything has to be moved to them sooner or later, since IMHO it is confusing with some things in tabs & others are not. Right now, one might not know to look at the bottom buttons to get to more prefs.

I did a bit of work on the OSM:
+ primitive reductions
+ moving a few Links inside to Wireless Outs
+ changed colors of switch labels to make them more readable/findable (should be put to universal prefs later)
+ removed RMB double click to record, since the RMB up to release the ball broke it.
+ added switch to front lower-right panel to switch the ball-follow from auto to only when LMB is down ("Drag Only").

bugs:
- volume indicator on ball still updates at a semi-random rate; often gets stuck at 3/4
- sometimes ball starts off-screen
- I left the ball area too small, oops
Attachments
SickTheremin0016.osm
(235.71 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Re: v0016

Postby stw on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:39 am

infuzion wrote:+ removed RMB double click to record, since the RMB up to release the ball broke it.

? I never had any trouble with this. Double click never interferred with a button up!
Has anyone else run into problems with that?

I'd rellay like to see that "record on the fly" feature in.
stw
smanatic

Postby infuzion on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:52 am

stw wrote:
infuzion wrote:+ removed RMB double click to record, since the RMB up to release the ball broke it.
? I never had any trouble with this. Double click never interfered with a button up!
I tried to record without releasing the ball & could not. It would be nice if one could record with the mouse, or maybe key.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:23 am

infuzion wrote:- volume indicator on ball still updates at a semi-random rate; often gets stuck at 3/4

I'm on it.
The volume is pretty much the only audio-producing part that's still mostly green, which means it doesn't get stuck, it simply behaves like all green stuff; jerky.
I've got a working stream "Slide", but haven't had the time to finish it up yet. When it's streaming, it should run smoothly over constant time. Probably going to alter the silly Time and Step inputs into a single "distance-per-second" (or "speed"?) one, which is much easier to understand.

infuzion wrote:- sometimes ball starts off-screen

It's probably because most people move the mouse off-screen when saving the schematic :)
If the Swings had a "Set to value" option, this could be initialized after load to center it.
I have a working "Set" in my stream Slide, which should be easy to transfer into the Swings, so I'll do it unless somebody else beats me to it :)

infuzion wrote:- I left the ball area too small, oops

Shame on you!
As a man, you should know better than to cramp your ball-space!

As for the sliding tabs, I kinda had the idea of making one tab on each edge, with some graphics on them to indicate what they are. My plan was to make all tabs triangular (i.e. left one shaped >, right <, bottom /\, top \/) so they all touch when open but without overlap. Remember that the tab pages can have any shape you want; no need to stick to the big-rectangle-with-small-rectangle-sticking-out-the-side look :) Personally I'd like this project to emphasize the "fun" part of "functional", but I understand if other people vote for a more practical result.
My current top SynthMaker bug:
    1. MIDI Input issue (showstopper, no workaround)
    2. All my previous bugs in SM1.7, because bug 1 makes SM2 worse than SM1.7
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:51 am

infuzion wrote:
stw wrote:
? I never had any trouble with this. Double click never interfered with a button up!
I tried to record without releasing the ball & could not. It would be nice if one could record with the mouse, or maybe key.

Keyboard seems logical to me.
RMB seems to interact with LMB, so enabling recording using RMB affects the recording itself.
Double-click in an environment where you are playing using the mousebuttons is just asking for trouble. IMHO, double-click should be treated as single-click.
It might be nice to map some other keyboard keys to other functions/options/etc in the future, seeing as this thing must be controlled from behind a computer anyway.
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:38 pm

SickTheremin0017.osm
(237.04 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

+ Added "center" to the swingers. I think the targets need to be centered as well :)
* Updated the tabs to somewhat cleaner schematic from the most recent "SwingTabs".
* Restored the display size
* Implemented a stream Slide for LMB instead of green. I guess the green Slides inside the edge bouncers can also be replaced by the stream Slide for more accurate animation speed.

Stream Slides come at a price though; it takes time from stream thread. On the other hand they're probably faster to run than the green Slide modules, being SSE and all. And in the case of the edge bounce animation, you can probably pack four of them together. But again; stream thread CPU is limited, green thread less so.

That's pretty much it from me this time.
Last edited by mwvdlee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby infuzion on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:43 pm

mwvdlee wrote:
infuzion wrote:- sometimes ball starts off-screen
It's probably because most people move the mouse off-screen when saving the schematic
That may be true. Seems if the "Drag Only" is on it prevents the ball from being off-screen.

mwvdlee wrote:As for the sliding tabs, I kinda had the idea of making one tab on each edge, with some graphics on them to indicate what they are. Personally I'd like this project to emphasize the "fun" part of "functional", but I understand if other people vote for a more practical result.
A successful GUI is both instantly clear & consistent. Your idea seems interesting if you can pull it off well!

mwvdlee wrote:
Keyboard seems logical to me... It might be nice to map some other keyboard keys to other functions/options/etc in the future, seeing as this thing must be controlled from behind a computer anyway.
Middle mouse button support is cool also, but laptop users are missing MMB in their trackpad.

Ideas:
? Timer for recording
? "Freeze ball" function
(written before v0017 release)
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Here's another idea; remember the previous output x/y of the Swinger and calculate the distance (hypot) between that coordinate and the current coordinate. Now you have a different kind of force.

Actually the current "force" is more like "stretch force" and the force I just described is the "speed force" of the ball.

Sample (and absolute) this "speed force" at the moment a ball bounces of an edge and you get impact force which you could use to adjust the loudness of the edge bounce sound; high impact = loud noise, low impact soft = noise. Or, ofcourse, it can be used for whatever you like :)

Anyway, I'm off to the gym now.

p.s. There are other forces that could be calculated.
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby MichaelBenjamin on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:30 pm

how would that go, like this maybe?

streamin normx;
streamin normy;
streamout speed;
float current,last;
current=abs(normx)+abs(normy);
speed=abs(current-last);
last=current;
MichaelBenjamin
smaniac

v 0018

Postby stw on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi sickies,
don't want to disturb your disussion (which i appreciate very much ;) ) but i'd like to introduce the next update:" Step into Midi world"

Changes:
- bumper sound is now dependant of general bounce enable (didn't make sense it was). However this part needs some improvement which i'll go into later.
- introduced a midi module: By holding down "ctrl" while clicking into the area a label box opens showing the actual midi note. That can be changed by simply stroking a key on the keyboard. An additional left click sets the point as a hot spot for that key. So every key can have its own spot. A right click clears the array entry and the key has no function. The box closes.
It can be declared in the properties if an active note also enables sound or just moves the ball.
I did some other minor work which i don't remember anymore... :S

@infuzion: You deleted the voice active on double left click. Was that for special reason?

However have fun!
Attachments
SickTheremin0018.osm
(239.47 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
stw
smanatic

Postby stw on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:30 pm

mwvdlee wrote:RMB seems to interact with LMB, so enabling recording using RMB affects the recording itself.
Double-click in an environment where you are playing using the mousebuttons is just asking for trouble. IMHO, double-click should be treated as single-click.

This is totally wired! What kind of mouse are you using? The two buttons shouldn't affect each other in any way!
Not even my Apple Magic mouse (which definitely has only one physical button) does that. :o
stw
smanatic

Postby trogluddite on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:03 pm

mwvdlee wrote:distance (hypot) between that coordinate and the current coordinate

speed = sqrt ( (normx-oldx)^2 + (normy-oldy)^2 ); (hypoteneuse of a triangle)
oldx=normx; oldy=normy;

Would probably be just as effective without the square root though - in physics, the forces would be proportional to mass*velocity squared (the momentum)
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

PreviousNext

Return to Projects