Swing / SickTheramin

Special collaborative projects managed by SynthMaker users

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

Re: v0016

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:20 pm

stw wrote:
mwvdlee wrote:RMB seems to interact with LMB, so enabling recording using RMB affects the recording itself.
Double-click in an environment where you are playing using the mousebuttons is just asking for trouble. IMHO, double-click should be treated as single-click.

This is totally wired! What kind of mouse are you using? The two buttons shouldn't affect each other in any way!
Not even my Apple Magic mouse (which definitely has only one physical button) does that. :o

I don't think it's a hardware issue, since I have never had the issue with other software.
Try holding the LMB, press and release RMB and the hold on LMB seems gone. Seems S|M is able to only have one of the two active at any time, not both.
My current top SynthMaker bug:
    1. MIDI Input issue (showstopper, no workaround)
    2. All my previous bugs in SM1.7, because bug 1 makes SM2 worse than SM1.7
mwvdlee
smanatic

Re: Swing / SickTheramin

Postby trogluddite on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:25 pm

mwvdlee wrote:Try holding the LMB, press and release RMB and the hold on LMB seems gone

Seems fine here - I don't notice any interaction on mouse, trackball or even my graphics tablet.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:42 pm

trogluddite wrote:
mwvdlee wrote:distance (hypot) between that coordinate and the current coordinate

speed = sqrt ( (normx-oldx)^2 + (normy-oldy)^2 ); (hypoteneuse of a triangle)
oldx=normx; oldy=normy;

Would probably be just as effective without the square root though - in physics, the forces would be proportional to mass*velocity squared (the momentum)

If you take any individual instance it might, but the forces need to be relative to eachother.
Anyway, one could always put it to a practical test and listen to the difference :) The stream hypot we've already got as the current "Force", and the memory thing is even easier.

By the way, take the difference between two of these speeds and you've got acceleration/deceleration (yeah yeah, it should be velocity, not speed, but it's practically the same in our case.). Don't know if that in itself is useful for audio production, but it'd be easy to try. At the very least you could add some scientifically looking graphic bling ;) Add centripetal (("mass" * (speed^2)) / stretch) and reactive centrifugal (-centripetal) forces too and it would look like we're doing really complex physics :D Ooooh, us be brainy persons!

Come to think of it; you could use the angle of the ball (or perpendicular) as input for something as well. Wonder what would happen if you took the angle and directly transformed it into a wave shape, like drawing a sine.

Enough stuff still to be explored, I guess :)
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:39 pm

SickTheremin0019.osm
(240.51 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

+ Ball speed and acceleration (both using grid units as unit for length). Not hooked up to any audio, just two annoying displays.

I started out doing all kinds of code stuff, but it turns out I was way overthinking the problem and it's actually quite easy. Having a one-sample delay is too small; float rounding gets in the way. too long a delay means you get to see results way too late. At samplerate/50, it should be an unnoticable delay visually.

It's trivial to do the same calculations for the mouse pointer, but who would want that? :P

*edit: Just noticed. I jumped ahead of myself and renamed the old Force to "Centrifugal". This is wrong, it merely calculates the radius needed to calculate centrifugal. Please correct this for 0020 :)
mwvdlee
smanatic

Re: v 0018

Postby infuzion on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:48 pm

stw wrote:@infuzion: You deleted the voice active on double left click. Was that for special reason?
It was redundant & confusing:
1) The bool-Out is labeled "LMB down", but the LMB Down primitive actually turned it off.
2) The old version had Drag also turn it on, so that makes LMB pointless, but that does not matter since
3) I simplified to LMB down = on, LMB up = off.

Sorry, I did not mean to step on people's toes, just wanted more accuracy.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby stw on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:24 pm

infuzion wrote:Sorry, I did not mean to step on people's toes, just wanted more accuracy.

Oh, no problem mate. I'd just asked because i wanted to avoid any mouse troubles as discussed earlier in this thread.
Nevertheless i like the feature to keep the sound active without pushing the button all the time.
I already got a tendinitis in my trigger finger... ;)
stw
smanatic

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:52 pm

stw wrote:
infuzion wrote:Sorry, I did not mean to step on people's toes, just wanted more accuracy.

Oh, no problem mate. I'd just asked because i wanted to avoid any mouse troubles as discussed earlier in this thread.
Nevertheless i like the feature to keep the sound active without pushing the button all the time.
I already got a tendinitis in my trigger finger... ;)

Woohoo!
More excuses for more options!
More buttons!!!

Speaking of which; I have an issue with the default boolean switch; on the black background it's hard to see if it's set left or right. Besides; which side is on and which off anyway? Perhaps somebody can come up with a novell on/off switch and/or label that works on black background?
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby stw on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:25 pm

mwvdlee wrote:Speaking of which; I have an issue with the default boolean switch; on the black background it's hard to see if it's set left or right. Besides; which side is on and which off anyway? Perhaps somebody can come up with a novell on/off switch and/or label that works on black background?

I consider the whole knob switch and adjustment stuff as temporary.
stw
smanatic

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:29 pm

stw wrote:
mwvdlee wrote:Speaking of which; I have an issue with the default boolean switch; on the black background it's hard to see if it's set left or right. Besides; which side is on and which off anyway? Perhaps somebody can come up with a novell on/off switch and/or label that works on black background?

So... any ideas what you'd like as final?
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby stw on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:04 pm

mwvdlee wrote:
stw wrote:

So... any ideas what you'd like as final?

Didn't thought much about it. I'm more involved in trying new functions right now. Anyway i'm no GUI mastermind. So maybe more talented fellows could try something? :love:
stw
smanatic

Postby infuzion on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:06 am

stw wrote:
Yea, better to not worry about until the final passes. But if the ball is in your or my court, I prefer glow buttons until final:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9605
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5899
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby infuzion on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:33 am

stw wrote:Oh, no problem mate. I'd just asked because i wanted to avoid any mouse troubles as discussed earlier in this thread.
Nevertheless i like the feature to keep the sound active without pushing the button all the time. I already got a tendinitis in my trigger finger... ;)
I'm thinking that since this project is becoming more multi-purpose (effect & an odd lead), there should be some configuration to what mouse buttons do what, & assigning keyboard &/or MIDI to certain things also.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby mwvdlee on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:27 am

Just playin' around with ideas for tabs.

SwingTabs2.osm
(9.38 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

The rotated button label was hard to get right.
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby stw on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:59 pm

mwvdlee wrote:Just playin' around with ideas for tabs.

SwingTabs2.osm

The rotated button label was hard to get right.

Really nice. Serves the "bally" character of the project very well.
stw
smanatic

Postby mwvdlee on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:39 pm

While at the gym again (I train about 5 x 1½ hour a week), I thought about how to draw the type of triangles I'd need for the tabs I wanted.

So here's the result:

SwingTabs3.osm
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

It's pretty obvious really, though it was a lot of trial and error and it took me a trip to the garden store to figure out how to tie up some loose ends.

Just remember; in computer graphics there are no lines, just very thin rectangular boxes.
Those of you who've followed the Convex Polygon topic should immediately recognize that using lines like this would be a much more efficient way of doing regular filled convex polygons with 5 or more sides. For 4 sides you can go even faster.

*edit: Just finished my regular filled polygons. Here's a link to the old topic reopened: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9597&p=71278#p71278
Last edited by mwvdlee on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwvdlee
smanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Projects