DirectSound Error message

Discuss suspected defects before submitting a bug report

Moderator: electrogear

DirectSound Error message

Postby philter5 on Mon May 23, 2011 6:34 pm

hey guys,
i have a strange error since yesterday. when i start SM on my laptop(using internal soundcard)
and i try to activate the directSound out component i get a strange error message that tells me this:
error.jpg

when i click okay the next message comes:

errorq2.jpg

if i click ok here, the first error message comes up a second time. after clicking ok the directsound out IS activated,
but does NOT work. no sound. strange is that the first message tells me that it can´t use DirectSound because another App is using the ASIO(?) driver maybe. but there is NO other Program opened. i did not change something
on my system and i have not installed/uninstalled ANY drivers in the last few days. has anyone else had this problem
or does somebody have an idea how to fix this?

phil
---Yes, a piece of software CAN be your best friend---
philter5
smaniac

Re: DirectSound Error message

Postby theun on Mon May 23, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi philter,

aliasant mentioned the same issue a few weeks ago in the help section:
http://www.synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10409
I am not sure if he solved the problem in the mean time.

Curious problem, anyway (that's why I remembered :) ). My personal guess would be that the on-board audio card may be 'hijacked' by a mediaplayer or something like that. But there are probably lots of other explanations possible ...

Regards, Theun
Still working on the same stuff.....
But..... back on track!
"I just had to postpone my project for another 3 months, I had some brilliant ideas, you know, so I had to start coding from scratch..."
theun
essemilian

Postby trogluddite on Tue May 24, 2011 12:30 am

My main music PC has always had this problem with DS - usually I always use ASIO, but schematics downloaded from the forum often give me this error.
The weird thing is that it has no "toys" installed on it, not even a web browser, and even the system sounds are disabled - yet my little netbook runs DS absolutely fine despite being stuffed full of media players and background tasks.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby aliasant on Tue May 24, 2011 6:22 am

I still have it.

Im guessing your using your internal soundcard?
My realtek soundcard on my MOBO is the problem. Thanx Trog for helping me with that one!
Been thinking about bying another mobo to get rid of it.
Any suggestions?

Using ASIO 98% of the time so its not a big problem but a very annoying one.
It's never to late to be late.....
http://martinrodensjo.smugmug.com/
aliasant
smunatic

Postby philter5 on Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 am

another strange thing that is maybe related to this bug (<- i think so because i can remember that i´ve
had this some hours before the directsoundrerror message) :

you all know that sometimes the Asio/directsound out/in components save their status when the OSM gets created.
means, if for example aliasant saves a osm , uploads it and i download and open it, i see what aliasant is using, or at least how many output / inputs his soundcard has (until you enable/disable the component, then it show your outs/ins).
a few hours before the DS error i´ve opened a OSM from the forum that had a asioout component in it. strange here was that when i enabled the it, it has not refreshed to my soundcard setting (4 out´s) but the driver was activated with the status from the author(2 outs) and worked. this happend to me only one time, as said a few hours before the ds error. :S
---Yes, a piece of software CAN be your best friend---
philter5
smaniac

Return to Bugs