[Solved] Crash on load

Discuss suspected defects before submitting a bug report

Moderator: electrogear

[Solved] Crash on load

Postby TomC on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Since SM 2.04 SynthMaker ALWAYS crashes when it's started with an OSM, that means when I double click on an OSM-file, or SM loads the last used file on startup.

When I start SM in 'Save mode' I can load the same OSMs without any problem.

malc/Outsim is already informed, his words were "that'll be tricky to track down".

That's already 4 weeks ago, so my question is, does someone of you has the same problem and could also send the error report to Outsim to help tracking this down? They seem to have problems to reproduce that error.

Thanks,
Tom
Last edited by TomC on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.signature failure
TomC
smanatic

Re: Crash on load

Postby nix on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:40 am

Sometimes it helps to turn audio off before save.
nix
smaniac

Postby adamszabo on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:53 pm

it happened to me too. SM wants to load a backup .osm which is corrupted, and SM crashes. go to the backup folder and delete those files
adamszabo
essemilian

Postby trogluddite on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:17 pm

My soundcard driver causes this sometimes - weirdly, it's only ever with very small schematics, and only if audio input and output are both connected.
One trick that can sometimes work if you desperately need to recover the work lost, is to disable the soundcard before re-loading. If it's USB/FW just unplug it, otherwise you may have to temporarily disable it in Device Manager.
That will force SM to open the file with no sound active, which will sometimes let you load and re-save the file with the audio turned off and have some chance of de-bugging it later when your card is enabled again.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby TomC on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:25 pm

adamszabo wrote:it happened to me too. SM wants to load a backup .osm which is corrupted, and SM crashes. go to the backup folder and delete those files

No, the .om files were NOT corrupted, I could load them without problem after I started SM without any files. It only occurred when a file was loaded DURING start, e.g. after a double click with the mouse.

The SM guys couldn't solve it, but I found a workaround: I un-installed SM and installed it to a different(!) folder. Now everything's fine.

The strange part is that a new installation to the SAME folder did not help.

Probably a registry-hickup or sumthing.

Tom
.signature failure
TomC
smanatic

Re: [Solved] Crash on load

Postby Lost Sheep on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:07 pm

UNSOLVED!

Yesterday I started getting redlines on circuits that were working happily the day before.

Today version 2.0.5 has locked me out of SM. Crashes every time whether clicking on an OSM or trying a clean / safe load it keeps telling me the file I'm trying to load is corrupted. >:(

So far I've tried:
1. Reinstalling 2.0.5
2. Disabling my sound card
3. Uninstall, reboot, run Norton 360 registry cleaner, reboot & reinstall 2.0.5
4. As 3 and deleting the original directories
5. As 3 plus installing to a different install path
6. Reinstalling 1.1.7 which gives a very similar corrupt message and tells me to upgrade

From this I'm assuming there is a registry entry that looks valid to Norton but is messing up SM.

I'm now feeling really frustrated because I've just bought some hardware specifically to develop an SM prog to work with it :blush:

HELP!
Lost Sheep
essemer

Postby Lost Sheep on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:30 am

Just had an email from Malc which has fixed my problem.

I hadn't realised that there were recovery files in a (hidden on my system) folder under user/AppData.

It also seems my registry window position settings were corrupted which were fixed by deleting the relevant key.

Further details available from Malc if you get a similar problem. I haven't provided full details of the registry fix as I don't think this a place to go if you aren't too confident of what you are doing.
Lost Sheep
essemer

Postby infuzion on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:28 am

Lost Sheep wrote:Just had an email from Malc which has fixed my problem.
I hadn't realised that there were recovery files in a (hidden on my system) folder under user/AppData.
It also seems my registry window position settings were corrupted which were fixed by deleting the relevant key.
Further details available from Malc if you get a similar problem. I haven't provided full details of the registry fix as I don't think this a place to go if you aren't too confident of what you are doing.
Please post; why bug busy Malc for the same problem twice?
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby Lost Sheep on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:00 pm

As requested, but use at your own risk...

Malc's registry fix:

Then second issue relates to the default window position (which is why it's showing in task manager but not on the screen). It's possible that the window size and position settings have somehow got corrupted. To resolve this you could try deleting the setting for this in the registry and this will force the software to reset the position when you next launch.

To do this:

1. Click the Windows Start button, type RegEdit in the search box and press return (click Yes on the security dialog)

2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Outsim\SynthMaker

3. In the list to the right find "Window Position"

4. Right-click on the Window Position key and select Delete

5. Now close regedit and run SM again

If this doesn't work then you could try deleting the whole SynthMaker group in regedit and then restart SM. Note that this will reset your SM preferences back to defaults though.
Lost Sheep
essemer

Return to Bugs