Search Bar does not work

Discuss suspected defects before submitting a bug report

Moderator: electrogear

Search Bar does not work

Postby Yudaidhun on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:02 am

Search Bar does not work at all in SM2.x.
It works on SM1.x.
Tested on 5 computers.

Are there anyone who have the same problem?
I doubt this problem happens to Asian language user.
I am Japanese and i use both JP/EN Win OS.
Japanese language has been installed to all of my systems.
Attachments
bug.gif
Search Bar bug
bug.gif (164.35 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Yudaidhun
essemer

Re: Search Bar does not work

Postby trogluddite on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:38 am

Welcome to the forum.

It is well known that the search is not very effective, but I have never heard of it crashing the software before - so I think you are right to suspect a conflict with your language settings.
I would suggest e-mailing a bug report to 'support@synthmaker.com' telling them what is happening.
In your Application Data folder for SynthMaker you will find files containing the error log and crash dump; you should attach those files to your e-mail if possble.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby philter5 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:20 pm

i´ve had search problems in the past,too... with the 1.* versions. one strange thing was that it always crashed SM when i tried to find modules that begin with "dra". everytime i searched a drag module or a draw module SM chrashed after i typed the first 3 letters. don´t know if this was related to a buggy module in my toolbox... but, to keep it short: the toolbox and the search feature is (at least for me) one of the most important things that have to get fixed. it´s a real mess in version 2 now. would be nice to have a small primitiv with a string input that we can put inside our selfmade modules, so that we can add some tags .... like if we have asm optimized poly effect module and we can add a TAG primitive to it, than add some tags like "effect,poly,asm optimized" to it, and the search does search after this kind of tags. i will post a feature request, i think this would make the whole search thing a lot easier AND we can add our own tags.
there is also a small *.hom file tool that Myco made available here in the forum (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6786&p=66693&hilit=%2A.hom#p66693). it´s not finished BUT it CAN help to sort out some modules.
This kind of tool, integrated in SM, would come very handy....
---Yes, a piece of software CAN be your best friend---
philter5
smaniac

Postby trogluddite on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Yes, I find I hardly use the search these days - partly out of familiarity with the toolbox, but mostly because it just finds all the wrong things!!

Your idea for tagging can (sort of) already be done - simply include the 'Tooltip Help' primitive into your module, with your tags as par of the tooltip string.
However, I sometimes think that this is what can make the search results so vague - a word only has to be mentioned in passing in the tooltip box to make the module come up in the search results. For example, type 'not' because you want a boolean not gate, and every single module with 'not', or 'note' etc. in its description gets found - always alphabetically rather than will any 'relevance' filtering.
Even an option to make matches of the module name be first in the search results would be better - Windows own search feature (which is pretty crappy sometimes) can do better than that!
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby philter5 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:45 pm

yes i know the tooltip help primitive BUT most of the time its used for some infos about the module/ contains a description of the module and i think that´s the right way to use it. comes very handy to GET this description when moving the cursor over a module in the toolbox.but, as you said allready, this brings unwanted results (like the "NOT" search that brings up every description with this word in it). a NEW primitive that is made ONLY for tagging modules would be a nice addition(assumed that the toolbox search would READ the tags correct, of course).
Example: you have some modules that you want to give version numbers or other infos. no matter WHAT infos, important
is that this way everybody can decide how he would Tag his modules WITHOUT changing the description of the module.
the most tooltip helps are clear to read (e.g. animated knob, a description that will not change in most cases because it is AND it stays an animated knob, no matter what you change at the knobs design ) but if you now add things like
"size=64x64,frames=64,author=trog,color=blue" it would be nice to have this extra "tag" primitive. thats my opinion.
---Yes, a piece of software CAN be your best friend---
philter5
smaniac

Postby infuzion on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:04 am

I use search about 30% of the time.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby Yudaidhun on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:47 pm

trogluddite wrote:I would suggest e-mailing a bug report to 'support@synthmaker.com' telling them what is happening.
In your Application Data folder for SynthMaker you will find files containing the error log and crash dump; you should attach those files to your e-mail if possble.

I've already reported this issue, hope it will be fixed soon.
SM does not crash when I got this error; I just can't use search function.
So I cannot attach the crash dump.

Thanks,
Yudaidhun
essemer

Return to Bugs