rand primitive buggy

Discuss suspected defects before submitting a bug report

Moderator: electrogear

rand primitive buggy

Postby tester on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:57 am

When starting exported exe application or SM with schematic (not only reloading the schematic, but restarting SM) - first value produced by triggered "rand" is always the same. Hopefully Rand is not repeatable when producing next triggered values? Would be problematic with mor erands in schematic.
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
Thank you for your contribution.
tester
smanatic

Re: rand primitive buggy

Postby tester on Mon May 14, 2012 6:49 am

//update:

It looks, that Rand primitive works correclty, but needs proper wiring. I asked malc about this issue, and he sent me an explanation with example below. Solution is simple - time based seed must be triggered externally, once, after load - to activate the stream.
Attachments
rand-fixed-problem.osm
(271 Bytes) Downloaded 172 times
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
Thank you for your contribution.
tester
smanatic

Re: rand primitive buggy

Postby trogluddite on Mon May 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Aaah, so not; "leave the Seed input unconnected and the component will seed itself", as it says in the official Component Reference! :o

Thanks for letting us know :) - another one of SM's little 'mysteries' is solved!
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Return to Bugs