Assembler component doesn't recognize rsqrtps

Discuss suspected defects before submitting a bug report

Moderator: electrogear

Assembler component doesn't recognize rsqrtps

Postby Borogove on Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Don't know if this should be in bugs or feature-requests, but the Assembler seems to parse sqrtps (square root) and rcpps (reciprocal approximation) just fine, but not rsqrtps (reciprocal square root approximation). sqrtps takes up to 134 cycles to complete, but with rsqrtps and a little bit of arithmetic to refine the approximation, you can get a good audio-quality square root in only about 20 cycles.
--Borogove
Borogove
essemer

Postby infuzion on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:53 pm

Interesting... could you roll your own rsqrtps, or does it just have to be opend in SM's Assembly?
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby Borogove on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:01 pm

infuzion wrote:Interesting... could you roll your own rsqrtps, or does it just have to be opend in SM's Assembly?

As noted, I'm after the performance that I can only get from rsqrtps (a single machine instruction that there's currently just no way to get in SM -- unless the assembler module has an undocumented "emit" pseudo-op). While I'm waiting, I can use sqrtps instead, but as noted it's substantially slower.
--Borogove
Borogove
essemer

Re: Assembler component doesn't recognize rsqrtps

Postby rl on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14 pm

This needs to be bumped. Almost 6 years gone, still not implemented!

Stupid restriction all over the place, maybe it's time for a hexcode assembly module?
rl
dsp wiz

Re: Assembler component doesn't recognize rsqrtps

Postby infuzion on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:54 am

Yep a request, I just added it here for you: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10775
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Return to Bugs