Cubase SX_ can't use SM; SM needs VST2.4

Discuss suspected defects before submitting a bug report

Moderator: electrogear

Cubase SX_ can't use SM; SM needs VST2.4

Postby infuzion on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:41 pm

I know this is known, but I'm logging a bug to get this fixed (likely not until a re-write) & so those evaluating/bug-reporting SM can search for this, & we don't keep getting these complaints:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8966&start=10

Cubase (for the last few years) = VST 2.4 & 3.0 ONLY host
SM = VST2.3 ONLY
incomparable... those crazy Germans, who do they think they are, creators of the VST spec or something?

Cubase doesn't have a corner of the DAW market anymore (Live & Reaper & all those $100 DAWs sucked customers away I'm sure), but I'm sure a larger % of the professionals that I'm looking to sell to still use it.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Re: Cubase SX_ can't use SM; SM needs VST2.4

Postby trogluddite on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:16 am

Does this behaviour only apply to certain primitives? I've been happily using my own plugins within Cubase without any problems at all. The only thing I don't really use is VST automation and presets (I feel more in control of things using MIDI) - is that the bit that causes problems, or have I just got lucky?
Explains why some of my older freeware doesn't work any more though! Not really a good way to go about keeping their share of a very competitive DAW market is it? The silly buggers.

EDIT: Afetr hint from Tzarls - I checked my plugin info within Cubase. Up to SX3 (The one I use) should work with VST2.0 upwards - glad I haven't upgraded for so long, it would have ruined all my SM fun. Time to learn Reaper I think!

Thanks for the info.

The Luddite.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby infuzion on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:39 am

I was wrong about my statement in the other thread, Cubase _3 should be compatible; check the PDF:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/le ... 6pdfs.html
So perhaps either your system or SM has the issue there.

I think Cubase __4 is when they dropped 2.3 support, since only VST3 is listed here, & I assume VST2.4 was also included:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/le ... media.html

This has been an ongoing issue, & stalled when Steinberg would not respond to requests from Outsim for a Cubase copy to test on.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby bootsy on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:57 am

I do have clients working on C4 and 5 without any probs.
Come and visit my Blog: Variety Of Sound
bootsy
essemilian

Postby rl on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:00 am

I thought Cubase 4 and 5 also supported VST 2.x plugins and even VST 2.3 plugs?
(interesting thread here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0)
rl
dsp wiz

Postby aliasant on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:38 am

rl wrote:I thought Cubase 4 and 5 also supported VST 2.x plugins and even VST 2.3 plugs?
(interesting thread here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0)

They do. Here is a little prrf from my system running SM plugs just fine.
I sorted this list so that plugs with oldest SDK shows up top.

VST-SDKs-in-Cubase-512.jpg
VST-SDKs-in-Cubase-512.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 3532 times
It's never to late to be late.....
http://martinrodensjo.smugmug.com/
aliasant
smunatic

Postby TomC on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 am

rl wrote:I thought Cubase 4 and 5 also supported VST 2.x plugins and even VST 2.3 plugs?

Cubase 4 and newer officially support VST 2.4 and newer.

VST 2.3 plug-ins might (!) run.

Plug-ins made with SynthMaker (which is VST 2.3) DO run, but have issues. Depending on what you do those issues might or might not be a problem.

For me it IS a problem, because my effects heavily rely on automation, and automation does NOT work correctly with Cubase 4+5.

Tom
.signature failure
TomC
smanatic

Postby aliasant on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:37 am

Thanx Tom. Ill see if I can do some tests on my Cubase 5 later this weekend.
It's never to late to be late.....
http://martinrodensjo.smugmug.com/
aliasant
smunatic

Postby McBarGig on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Well I thought this whole thing was over, You know what "thought" did right?... "Thought" thought he farted but he actually..@#$% himself!

So I released Shred 1.06 and within 5 posts I had 2 complaints of it not running in Cubase 4 or 5?
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7878&start=50

We really have done extensive testing on this including Cubase, Nuendo, Reaper, Mixcraft 4 and 5, FLS 9, Ableton, and a plethora of other hosts, we even tested with RTAS Wrapper, and WINE. Everything worked!

BOOM! within the first 5 posts!

One flaw that I made and is my fault, was that I had mistakenly named 2 controls the same. This was one of those last minute fixes you do before release...Dumbass me! Is this the type of error that can cause Cubase to crash?
Thing is I don't want to issue an update until I have the Cubase problems fixed..and, It seems that I am the only one having problems with Cubase?
McBarGig
essemilian

Postby Acrobat on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:08 pm

[quote="aliasant"]They do. Here is a little prrf from my system running SM plugs just fine.
I sorted this list so that plugs with oldest SDK shows up top.

I like the names "Obsession MS" and "Phlamingo" . Sounds like a trip to Las Vegas!
Acrobat
smaniac

Postby McBarGig on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:34 pm

I just heard back from one of the users with the crash in Cubase, and after renaming the control, its now working...
McBarGig
essemilian

Postby MDMA on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:24 am

Hi guys,
I really dont know how old this topic is as the dates show up all messed up here but here it goes:

Are synthmaker plugins still VST2.3?

And does the phrase "VST2.3 and under might work on cubase" still applies, or was there a bug fix since this topic?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm having trouble running my current synth project on cubase 6.0.5, it shows a white screen with only a few knobs and then it crashes Cubase.
Haven't been able to reproduce this on cubase 5 though.

On this project, I have 3 Multi Stage Envelopes from the wiki, V0.8 if not wrong!
Also have 2 midi to poly sections, one of winch has 2 oscillators that both use 250 items arrays.

There are no controls named the same, I checked and recheked!
Would this 5 arrays be a cause to the problem? They are named differently but would this 1,2,3,4,5,etc numbers in the arrays cause any problems? Although they are different arrays and named different, they do repeat 5 times in my schematic.

Last night the final test made was to remove 2 MSE's from the synth and it resulted in no automation being possible, will continue tests today and come back with results.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance!

edit: Right, aparently the no automation was due to loading the plugin with preset automation from a previous version, it now works fine with only one MSE, is there a way to have multiple MSE's?
Thanks in advance!

edit: Just tested with the most recent version of the envelope 1.9.9.4 and the same sittuation manifests!
MDMA
essemist

Postby trogluddite on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi there,
Sadly SM is still only VST2.3 - some SM plugins will work in recent Cubase versions and some won't - I'm not quite sure what the rules are, but it seems that preset troubles are among the most common.
However, your mention of VST arrays reminded me of something... Take a quick look at THIS POST - seems that changing parameter order can help with getting arrays identified properly. If you search for 'preset edit order' you can find a few handy tools to make the editing easier.
No guarantees that it will cure all ills - best of luck.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby MDMA on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:12 pm

trogluddite wrote:Hi there,
Sadly SM is still only VST2.3 - some SM plugins will work in recent Cubase versions and some won't - I'm not quite sure what the rules are, but it seems that preset troubles are among the most common.
However, your mention of VST arrays reminded me of something... Take a quick look at THIS POST - seems that changing parameter order can help with getting arrays identified properly. If you search for 'preset edit order' you can find a few handy tools to make the editing easier.
No guarantees that it will cure all ills - best of luck.

Thanks a lot mate, I'm definatly going to try the tips on that topic! ;)

edit: I've tried changing the order and it still crashes but only when there is automation.
I'm sure it has to be something about the envelopes, as it has been tested before with only one of them and worked fine!
I've also removed automation capabilities for the envelopes and it still crashes!
MDMA
essemist

Return to Bugs