Slow Random LFO and BrainWaves

Sound synthesis techniques, DSP and related mathematics

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

Slow Random LFO and BrainWaves

Postby lesobrod on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:48 pm

This is my first real thing on SynthMaker so sorry for bugs and bad English.
Module produces smooth but chaotic LFO. Frequencies range is from 0.01 to 50 Hz but even 0.0001 Hz is possible.
Output range may be controlled in two ways. MainMin & MainMax are for rough control.
For example, amplitude modulation needs 0..1, sound freq may be modulated from 50 to 10 000 Hz etc.
By the sliders one can set exact range for output (0.5 .. 0.88 etc.)
Functions of Res, Attack and Release knobs are bit tricky, so just try it. :blush:

In .osm there are module itself, simple noise generator and BrainWave modulator 3:) , that include
correct, fast freq shifter from fine trogluddite module.
Attachments
NoiseModulation.osm
(104.1 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
For a lovely bowl let's arrange these flowers... Since there is no rice. Basho (c)(p)
lesobrod
essemist

Re: Slow Random LFO and BrainWaves

Postby trogluddite on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:21 pm

That's working pretty nicely - I've been keen to hear it ever since your PM's.

I put the output of the random noise through the binaural shifter, and put on my headphones...
What I find really surprising is that even when the noise is really quite random, the inter-aural beating remains very distinct. Even though the aural effect is quite 'wide' in stereo, I always seem to perceive the beat frequencies somewhere right in the middle of my head!

I'll be giving it a proper try later, when there is less distraction and I can chill out properly - annoyingly, my anti-virus started doing a scan just as was starting to enjoy it, and made lots of really jolting clicks and pops! :(

Keep up the good work - this is a very interesting project. :)
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby lesobrod on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks Trog for a support! (;...;)
Now I've found two points. In the properties of Release knob its Max must be at least 100
and value should be 50-70 for low (0.01-0.1 Hz) mod freq. That gives the real slow oscillation effect.
And Res is very useful knob!! More Res - more sinusoidal LFO, less Res - more chaos.
For a lovely bowl let's arrange these flowers... Since there is no rice. Basho (c)(p)
lesobrod
essemist

Postby lesobrod on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:56 pm

There appear some problem with too much CPU usage.
Please look at "Help" section.
lesobrod
essemist

Postby trogluddite on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:02 pm

For this schematic, a lot of the extra processing is in the filters.
At the moment all of the filters are re-calculating their co-efficients for every sample, but most of the frequency and resonance values are really changing quite slowly - and some (e.g. brown noise filter) have fixed values.
Also I notice that you are using the code for the SVF - even with the HP, BP etc. outputs deleted, the filter is much more complex than you need just for an LPF. The stock Bi-Quad primitive is also not an efficient design.

So my suggestion are...
1) Find a more efficient filter that is purely LPF - a simple Bi-Quad in code will be best.
2) Use that to replace all of your current filters.
3) Use Hop() to lower the CPU processing of the coefficient calculations - I've often found that even hop(128) works well without any noticable 'stepping' of the values - if you search the forum, there are some good optimised designs that already have the hopping.

Another big reduction could come from using the mono4 type streams. Your two random oscillators are identical in design, so it would be possible to 'share' all of the code blocks using mono4, and have both processed for the same CPU load as only one.

With these optimisations I would expect the CPU load to drop to well under half the current load.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby lesobrod on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:48 pm

A new version of Slow Random LFO included in Purring Cat synth )))
lesobrod
essemist

Postby MegaHurtz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:34 pm

I think its a very original way of going about this, In case youre open to other suggestions.
I made a framedragging example that might suit your needs.
So its basicly a buffer filled with noise, and by framedragging it can do pitch.. interpolate that and you get a smoothing effect. So.. here :)

framedragging example.osm
(121.91 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Aliassing.. No, Bad logics.. Yes.
MegaHurtz
smaniac

Postby lesobrod on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:36 pm

OK
Chaos is heart of everything, so I'm glad to see people on forum interesting about it..(lol)
Now I'm learning MHz's weird & chaotic enough code )))
(It CPU more safely but not critically).
For a while here our histograms (upper is MHZ's)
Chaos1.jpg
Chaos1.jpg (131.92 KiB) Viewed 4754 times

Chaos2.jpg
Chaos2.jpg (122.95 KiB) Viewed 4745 times

Guests please note that we are talking about generation of slow random OSC.
This pictures show how generated signal (between -1 and 1) is distributed on this range.
Please note that my method has another parameter - Res.
When Res ~ 1, signal is almost periodical and distribution is even more flat than MNz'
But if Res ~ 0.1 my signal is closer to Gauss.
So can you add Res-like parameter in frmdrgg method?

P.S. MHz new avatar is cute!
lesobrod
essemist

Postby MegaHurtz on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:21 pm

I have to put some final touches on my resume project, ill see what i can do tomorrow.
Radio Calculator.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 340 times

Oh yea the picture its my birth sign according to the Aztec.
MegaHurtz
smaniac

Postby MegaHurtz on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I think some of us would like to know a bit about what you experienced playing around with bineural beats.
Found any interesting data?
MegaHurtz
smaniac

Postby lesobrod on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Well brainwaves is the thing that very easy to create, but very difficult to understand,
and it seems is not for everyone. So check PM.
lesobrod
essemist

Postby MegaHurtz on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Luckily man has already found a better way of altering brain chemistry and more refined binaural beats..
Its called MUSIC! Haleluja!
Turns out people are capable of reliving the memory via Pavlov response to the music that was played.
Also if one knows the chemical at hand the button for it may be found through concentration alone.
And shurely can be felt playing a sound that the mind identifies as the sound matching the experience.
Also the inducing of chemicals in the brain may end up in the brain being starved of these chemicals, as is clearly the case with dopamine. Telling you the gland is small for suspended feelings of exaggerated happyness and love.
But a good dose of melatonine may be a nice bet :) (without taking one of these sleeping pills)
MegaHurtz
smaniac

Postby MegaHurtz on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:24 pm

I had a little experiment last night hooking up two 30 uT magnetic resonators to my head and playing the raw
frequencys. Seems my body resists these and substitutes my mood at hand. Altho at 3-4 Hz my eyes did get a bit shaky when I closed them :S But nevertheless noting to write home about..
MegaHurtz
smaniac

Postby Flandersh on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:36 am

Research has shown that brainwave entrainment has effect (when used over time with a stable beat frequency). A great introduction to this can be found at http://www.stanford.edu/group/brainwave ... alTech.pdf

My own experience is that brainwave entrainment work, but that it not necessary work as expected. Using brainsync mp3s and hemisync mp3s and recording EEG before and after a session with it showed clearly change in my brainwave frequencies.
Flandersh
essemer

Postby MegaHurtz on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:46 am

Ahh.. But the brain tends to predict the sound after its beating cycle. Add 5 minutes of complete pause.. And voila!
A fully deactivated nothing to spook from environment. Wouldnt sustaining any non changing intermodulating pattern within a controlled non changing environment induce the same high. "a drift into a semi active state".
But seeing im in a semi active state, and after reading that people who are under the influence of marijuana produce more alpha for there beta. im off to find a nice beta :)
MegaHurtz
smaniac

Next

Return to Sound