CPU performance measurement

Suggest new features, components or other changes to the software

Moderator: electrogear

CPU performance measurement

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:04 pm

I'd like a component that can measure CPU usage %.
S|M can do this while editing, so why can'it be exposed to the schematic?
I have a project which could easily scale quality real-time (for live usage) to currently available CPU % if it were available in some form. The most notable reason this would be interresting is that I could scale down quality in order to prevent otherwise inevitable crashes currently making any S|M project a liability during live performance.
My current top SynthMaker bug:
    1. MIDI Input issue (showstopper, no workaround)
    2. All my previous bugs in SM1.7, because bug 1 makes SM2 worse than SM1.7
mwvdlee
smanatic

Re: CPU performance measurement

Postby Andrew J on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:02 am

+1

The old signal analyser used to be fine, but this part of it just doesn't work with newer Intels.
Andrew J
smanatic

Re: CPU performance measurement

Postby trogluddite on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:40 am

mwvdlee wrote:scale down quality in order to prevent otherwise inevitable crashes

Further to mwvdlee's suggestion...
It occurred to me that SM's meter measures only one CPU core, because SM is strictly one core only. For VST plugins, where your synth etc. is just one small piece of the performance, that's perfectly reasonable.
But wouldn't it be nice to have the possibility of .exe's making full use of all available cores? - for very large standalone 'live performance' type applications, it seems sad to be limited to using only a fraction of the CPU power available. The need to limit the design's functions to keep within a safe margin of performance would be much reduced.
For example, one could make a live sequencing and looping application that is totally self contained, something like a 'Reason' style rack full of synths and effects that has no need of a host application.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Return to Ideas and Requests