Drop XP & Vista support for 64bit?

Suggest new features, components or other changes to the software

Moderator: electrogear

Do you think SM3.0 should drop XP/Vista support for 64bit (audio & OS) newer features?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 pm

For sure YES! I need 64bit yesterday!
16%
Only if it gets 64bit + VST2.4, & maybe VST3.5
50%
I don't care either way...
16%
NO! Me & my users are married to my XP/Vista computer.
16%

Total votes : 12

Drop XP & Vista support for 64bit?

Postby infuzion on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:58 pm

1. Windows 7 has been out for a while now, & Win8 is likely out in a year
  2. XP (10 year old OS) & even Vista support is starting to be dropped, notably NI for Komplete8
  3. Many if not most users who still run XP are less than likely to pay for more software, at least at the pricepoint of SM & what I'd like to sell VST for
  4. Malc has only so much time, which is very little
  5. Dropping "official" support does NOT mean it will not work on XP, just Malc will no longer worry about it & focus on Win7 features, like 64bit OS, 64bit audio, WDML drivers, etc...
Last edited by infuzion on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Re: Drop XP & Vista support for 64bit?

Postby infuzion on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:01 pm

My reasoning:
I want to sell VSTs, preferably to people with money. I want to make sure I can have 64bit, which is starting to become mandatory. Though the computer I spend 99% of my time on is WinXP dual-core, I do have a i7 laptop with Win7_64 just waiting to be used. If I wanted to have 100,000 downloads of free VSTs, I could just use an old version of SM.

Here are some threads about NI dropping XP support:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=325069
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=145294
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby trogluddite on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Not for me.
On a personal level, I will upgrade things because they offer me a more rewarding experience, but will do my best to resist doing it just to make M$ et al a load more bucks. I use XP, Vista and Win7 on various machines at work - and I just can't stand what M$ have done to their OS - I'd still be using Win98 if I could. In nearly 16 years of having a PC in my home, I've only ever had 3 machines, and my previous one is still doing useful work.

For OutSim/DSProbotics.
Commercially, I think their interests are best served by supporting more OS, not fewer - including mobile devices etc. IMHO, their biggest business limitation is that they are too 'niche'. They will only win the investment they need to expand (thereby taking much of the load off Malc's shoulders) if they can propose to investors ways to reach a wider audience with their products - as they have tried to do (albeit not very successfully so far) by 'porting' their technology to the education/robotics market with FlowStone.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby infuzion on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:06 am

trogluddite wrote:I'd still be using Win98 if I could
Now you are trying to pick a fight here! ;) WinXP is are more secure, faster & stable. I can see people not be too excited about Win7 (aside from native multitouch & WDML), but Win98se? Kidding, right?

Honestly, if it came between supporting WinXP & supporting OSX, I say drop WinXP like a hot potato!
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby trogluddite on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:27 am

Guess I'm a bit old school! ;) For me the OS is just a box to put my applications in and hook them to my hardware -I don't want it to DO anything - ideally, I want one that doesn't pop up an 'are you really, really, really sure about that?' box every ten seconds - my colleagues at work are tired of hearing me mutter "If hadn't wanted to do that...." all day!
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby TomC on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:09 am

trogluddite wrote:ideally, I want one that doesn't pop up an 'are you really, really, really sure about that?' box every ten seconds - my colleagues at work are tired of hearing me mutter "If hadn't wanted to do that...." all day!

Are you really sure that you are not me?

(I have to check what I do during my sleep...)

Tom
.signature failure
TomC
smanatic

Postby rl on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 am

I had a hard time moving my home studio to a 64 bit windows 7. I had to change hardware (If anyone is interested in my good old Tascam US-428, send me a note...) because of lacking drivers, some plugins and instruments especially from the bigger companies won't install or run on windows 7 (the NI service center application is driving me crazy), even when only used with a 32 bit sequencer, only a subset of VSTi's exists for native 64 bit, for some I have to buy upgrades, etc...

If I had a commercial studio where money matters a working environment would be more important than everything else. So I would stick to goode ole XP as long as possible (and maybe build a 2nd 74 bit system for parallel usage).

64 bit SM would be a great thing, but I wouldn't mind if a 32 bit SM would run in a 64 bit host using some clever thunking or bridging technique, at least I haven't seen a SM build plugin that needs serveral Gigabytes of RAM.

I personally still don't see the need for a 64 bit sequencer application, except when using huge sample libraries.

Oh, and I recently heard that MAC users are facing similar problems when switching to LION...
rl
dsp wiz

Return to Ideas and Requests