Copy and Paste between instances

Suggest new features, components or other changes to the software

Moderator: electrogear

Copy and Paste between instances

Postby trogluddite on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Further to infuzion's post HERE...
Like him, I also have a HDD folder full of useful collections of modules - much like the wonderful 'Developer's Toolkit' collection. I find this much more handy for rarely needed modules than using the non-existent toolbox organisation.
But this method of keeping tidy is made much more awkward by several of SM's little quirks...

1) Clicking on a .osm icon in Windows (XP at least) always opens a new instance of SM, instead of opening the file in an already running SM window.
2) You can't copy and paste (or drag) between different SM instances - each instance has its own isolated clipboard.
3) Even with different schematic windows tiled/cascaded within the same workspace, you still can't drag between them, you have to use copy and paste.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Re: Copy and Paste between instances

Postby philter5 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:31 pm

+1 ;)
---Yes, a piece of software CAN be your best friend---
philter5
smaniac

Postby adamszabo on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:13 am

You have no idea how many times I got annoyed that when opening an osm, it opens in a new synthmaker, and then I cant copy and paste...
adamszabo
essemilian

Postby tor on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:07 am

YAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

100+
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)

http://www.audioteknikk.net
tor
essemilian

Postby sunsynth on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:09 pm

YUP - Count me in! ;)

1000+
sunsynth
smaniac

Postby trogluddite on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Wow, +1101 already!
Who missed out the +10 ? ;)
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby infuzion on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:32 am

+10
I don't really know programming, so I'm just reaching into dark crevices of my brain. But I'd think it would be useful for SM to do this similar to how MS Office can drag & drop stuff (lots of stuff) between different Office products & even the Windows OS. I think it has to do something with MFC OLE (old tutorial here) So why not:
+ copy/paste between SM instances
+ drag & drop between SM instances
+ drag & drop .HOM files (SM's single modules) directly into SM; then you can use the OS to be your "toolbox"
+ drag & drop a specially prepared .GIF (or is PNG smaller for 8 color now?) file onto the SM workspace & SM will place in the matching primitive/module (basically wrap an .HOM or primitive pointer inside the graphic file)
+ drag & drop a graphic file into SM, where it puts a Bitmap primitive with the graphic pre-loaded?
+ drag & drop a graphic file on top of a control module (eg knob) & that image will replace that module's image
+ drag & drop a .WAV on top of Wave Player & your .WAV will be auto-loaded
+ drag & drop any file ontop of a "Drop Here" primitive, & it will spit out the file type & location
+ "Synchronize All" between OSMs & instances (boy that will be a pain to program)
+ each SM "instance" is really the same SM process... but that will make one instance crash another... one minor advantage of the present system.

There is your 10; sunsynth & tor owe us some hours of typing now.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby tor on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:32 am

:)

Lets say you have a 99 loose ends (connectors) in a module. We need also to be able to drag more than 9 prims at the time from the toolbox. 99 is more like it. You should be able to type the number instead of clicking so many times and the ability to name them before you drag em onto the scematic and SM automaticall gave them additional numbers. Heck.... SM couldthenask if you want it on a Bus instead. :D Then if we drag 99 outputs, wireless links or Bus onto the module and let go. SM asks..... do you want to auto hookup this shit. We say yes and we have 99 auto connected links with name and numbers. This should work for module inputs aswell.

Fot the hundred one. Drag and drop text files into SM that analyze an make comment for plain text, string arrays for lists, code for code and ASM for ASM :P

tor
essemilian

Postby tor on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:38 am

Off topic... but i have earlier expressed a wish for some smart way to declare numberous inputs and outputs in code.

IE: I type: streamin in1-10, should give ten inputs named so. And troguddite have someother good ideas regarding corresponding array, memory ideas. The post is probably still here some where. ;)

tor
essemilian

Return to Ideas and Requests