New components

Suggest new features, components or other changes to the software

Moderator: electrogear

New components

Postby pall on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:26 am

I heard that the new version comes with "Pitch shift" and "Time stretch" primitives. Is this true? ;)
pall
essemilian

Re: New components

Postby trogluddite on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Time stretching has been part of SM for a long time...
Load SM for a quick half hour session to fix that little bug in your schematic - when you finish, many hours of time have vanished into thin air, and it is nearly time to get up and go to work.
If you listen very closely, you can sometime hear distinct changes in pitch too - kind of like a whooshy, whirring sound that seems to come from the cooling vents on your PC.

Some people believe that these mysterious effects are the result of resentful 'Dee-ess-pee Pixies' who cast their evil spells upon us as revenge for making them run around too fast - in Pixie mythology this known as 'avenging the 44100 hurts'.
When they are particularly annoyed, they come out during the day (when we are sleeping off our late night programming sessions) and tie incredibly intricate knots is all the cables behind our desks (this is why we see so many knot motifs in ancient Celtic art - the druids spent much of their time learning the ways of the Fairies - Indeed, untying the dreaded 'Centronics cable caught around those annoying serial cable thumbscrew cable lock thingies' was one of their most severe initiation rites.)
The Pxies in my studio are getting really badly behaved - every time I come back to my PC they have filled up the ashtray again, and taken all my cups upstairs and filled them will tepid coffee - all my hours of assembly optimising must have really been getting to them.
;) 3:) ;)
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby martinvicanek on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:05 pm

Trog, are you OK? :o
Haha, what a load of nonsense, but quite entertaining! :D
martinvicanek
essemilian

Postby stw on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:39 pm

:D
That crazy mod is not sufficiently challenged with DSP tasks... ;)
We should feeed him more... 3:)
stw
smanatic

Postby infuzion on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:58 pm

LOL
stw wrote:That crazy mod is not sufficiently challenged with DSP tasks... ;)
We should feeed him more... 3:)
No, the ADD is keeping him from finishing the trigger-tuts.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby trogluddite on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:36 pm

stw wrote:That crazy mod

I think the limitless power I have been granted may have gone to my head a little bit! 3:)

infuzion wrote:No, the ADD is keeping him from finishing the trigger-tuts.

I don't suppose you'd believe me if I said that the dog had eaten my 'homework'?

Ah, thought not...
So I will post a picture of what has really been distracting me (No, not THAT kind of picture!) a little later ...
...which bizarrely enough, involves both pitch shifting AND time stretching...
...but no Pixies - they never show themselves if you want them to because... ...blah.... ...and then... ...because... ...etc.........................
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby infuzion on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:40 am

trogluddite wrote:...but no Pixies - they never show themselves if you want them to because... ...blah.... ...and then... ...because...
Putting the mushrooms you found in the cow-fields on your salads?
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby pall on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:49 am

I love it when a subject is treated with humor in the mix of romance. :) This shows a greater versatility than the average which implies however a power DisSiPation.
Pitch shifting - as far as I know, first explained by Doppler. Theory that took names - and the Doppler effect which manifests itself everywhere in nature, both on Earth and throughout the Universe at all wavelengths. For the rest - the task is for the DSP-ists to enjoy these effects.
pall
essemilian

Postby philter5 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:13 am

i am still down on the floor laughing about trog´s first answer post.
trog: please post that magic-mushroom module u are using!
thanks a lot for this funny explanation of timestretching and pitch-shifting!
very nice! :D :D
---Yes, a piece of software CAN be your best friend---
philter5
smaniac

Postby adamszabo on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:06 pm

I seriously thought the new mod who is supposed to ban spammers has been hacked, and he is posting all about bible, quran and a lot of nonsense haha
adamszabo
essemilian

Postby trogluddite on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:57 pm

William Shakespeare wrote:A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

And it is nice to think of you all " :) " in front of your computers - "All work and no play makes jack a dull boy."

Several People wrote:Magic Mushrooms

The psilocybin semilanceata does indeed grow in profusion on the moors around here. In my youth, I did 'experiment' (always loved that scientific euphemism for "wanted to get out of my head").
The conclusion I eventually drew from my 'experiments' was that it is a shame that grown-ups so often feel that such things are necessary in order to allow themselves to behave like a child once in while (and that I had behaved like a complete ass for most of the evening!)
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby infuzion on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:36 pm

trogluddite wrote:The conclusion I eventually drew from my 'experiments' was that it is a shame that grown-ups so often feel that such things are necessary in order to allow themselves to behave like a child once in while (and that I had behaved like a complete ass for most of the evening!)
More or less my conclusion also, except if one takes substances to behave like a child they are also usually destroying their body to do it.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Return to Ideas and Requests