live wave timeline display (long cycles)

Suggest new features, components or other changes to the software

Moderator: electrogear

live wave timeline display (long cycles)

Postby tester on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:47 am

Something for effective wave display - for live signals and in wider time period (counted in seconds). You could set for example time window lenght (5 sec) and two modes: redraw window (EKG style), scroll window (wave scrolls), plus refreshing rate.
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
Thank you for your contribution.
tester
smanatic

Re: live wave timeline display (long cycles)

Postby CoreStyler on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Synthmaker does not allow disk streaming..
http://www.thecorestylerz.net
Sound Design, synth development and websites building...
SM COMMUNITY IS MOVING TO
www.synthmakers.net
CoreStyler
essemilian

Re: live wave timeline display (long cycles)

Postby trogluddite on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 pm

The "analogue oscilloscope" redraw style, you can see in the scope example I mentioned in the earlier "long scope" thread.

Now, in principle, the scrolling type scope could be done in a similar way. ..
I mentioned in the earlier thread that a bitmap was used to store previously drawn sections of the display, to avoid the need to store huge arrays and plot lots of graph points.
Something very similar could be used to make a scrolling scope - i.e. for each "frame", scroll the existing bitmap buffer to the left by the appropriate amount - overlay the next small chunk at the right hand side - capture this as a new bitmap buffer - and repeat.
The only potential flaw is that the amount of scrolling for each frame would vary slightly (due to innacurate timers) - not a problem to avoid gaps in the waveform, I already got around that to make the "ReDraw" scope stitch the frames together correctly. However unless bitmaps are scrolled in whole pixels, they become blurred due to anti aliasing - making the waveform gradually more fuzzy as it moves to the left.
You can see something of what I mean in the "waterfall" frequency plotter that I posted HERE - only the front plot is actually "drawn" - the ones behind it are done purely by manipulating bitmap captures. Not quite what you are looking for, but it does demonstrate that animated audio displays with reasonable CPU load are definitely possible with a bit of graphics trickery.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Return to Ideas and Requests