Mac OSX version?

Suggest new features, components or other changes to the software

Moderator: electrogear

Re: Mac OSX version?

Postby Disco_Steve on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:58 am

that was actually a plee for help wasn't it! ;)
I also find that graphical languages make you feel stupid, it all loks so easy, just draw a picture and whalla a beautifull sound, but the reality is that 'real' coding isn't that much harder. so really I should think, graphic programing, ARRR its going to take me three years to just scratch the surface! ;)
- the future sounds better.
Disco_Steve
essemilian

Postby trogluddite on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Puts me in mind of Blower's new cartoon strip in Private Eye - could only find this example on the net, but you get the idea...
iBores
BTW, less of the dissing Lego, please. I'm pretty sure I owe my career in engineering to my childhood love of those cute little plastic bricks. As far as I'm concerned, making DSP more accessible and easier to learn is a great thing, not something to get snobby about.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby infuzion on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:56 pm

trogluddite wrote:BTW, less of the dissing Lego, please. I'm pretty sure I owe my career in engineering to my childhood love of those cute little plastic bricks. As far as I'm concerned, making DSP more accessible and easier to learn is a great thing, not something to get snobby about.
LEGO gave me atleast an extra 10 IQ points from practicing rotating objects in my mind then doing it.

Funny thing is MAX4Live actually took 2 teams of programmers 1000s of man-hours to make it possible & stable, not to mention the 10000 hours for MAX5. If such programming time was put in to SM years ago, it would as great if not more so & multi-platform as well.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby tgmx on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Just registered to bump this thread
+1
tgmx
essemer

Postby infuzion on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:17 am

Survey from the last Denver Ableton Live usergroup:
27 people, 2 use PCs, rest Macs.

FYI, though people might not think Denver being that big of a city, it is home to Beatport & their related nightclubs. I would say for DJs I've seen, about 2/3s use Macs.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby aliasant on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:49 am

Macs also growing not to speak of iPads.
Imagine us being able to use SM to create apps for iPad or iPhone. It would be one hell of a developing tool for that.
PC sales are dropping and Microsoft is more or less killing itself with bad desicions.

Getting someone to invest in a complete rewrite of SM into a multiplatform or atleast Mac and PC should pay off huge in the future.
Even better would be if we could write Android and even Windows Phone 7 if that one ever takes off but I would be happy with a Mac version :)

Doing the rewrite would take a huge amount of time and money. Huge in relation to Outsim who is a very very small company. Only 2 employes. They need to let someone else step up with the cash in exchange for stocks or similar.
Like selling out to the devils.
Not a pleasant thought Im sure but what else is there to do?
It's never to late to be late.....
http://martinrodensjo.smugmug.com/
aliasant
smunatic

Postby infuzion on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:45 pm

aliasant wrote:Doing the rewrite would take a huge amount of time and money. Huge in relation to Outsim who is a very very small company. Only 2 employes.
I know that, but SM also needs 64bit OS support, 64bit/SSE3 audio support... so might as well add OSX support.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby aliasant on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:04 pm

infuzion wrote:
aliasant wrote:Doing the rewrite would take a huge amount of time and money. Huge in relation to Outsim who is a very very small company. Only 2 employes.
I know that, but SM also needs 64bit OS support, 64bit/SSE3 audio support... so might as well add OSX support.

hehe.
I know.

I cant see that they have any other choice but to do the complete rewrite.
If not SM has no future but if they do they have a very very bright future were they can grow alot.

As a sketch / developing platform SM is unbeatable. At least for people like myself who find C#, c++ and what not completely impenetrable.

Why not do the rewrite and make it so that they can adjust it for different kinds of developers.
As I said before. Smartphones and Pads are what we will use more and more and using something like SM to develop those little apps would be incredible. Many, like me, who cant program using todays tools would find it much much easier to make our little apps.
I think many of todays programmers are just that. Programmers.
They might not have the artistic or visionary ideas that can make an app great. They tend to write programs for themselves or other programmers making them hard to use for "normal" people. Having a tool like this to develop might open up something new were artists and other non programmers can create their own apps.
We see a miniature version of that here in this community. New guys every day who has never programmed anything before having a blast ( and a #/#¤-load of questions) creating synths and effects that a programmer would never have thought of in ways that programmers wouldnt dream of in his worst nightmares.... and possibly with good reasons but still.
Breaking new grounds :)

And I know. Im getting carried away.
Its just that I see this so clearly and I cant understand why the heck Outsim doesnt.

Outsim could make a gazillion here. They just have to get the guts to actually invest / find investors and start building the new multiplatform version.
aliasant
smunatic

Postby DigitalWhiteByte on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:08 pm

@aliasant

Holy Words.
I hope it translates well :)
DigitalWhiteByte
smanatic

Postby tektoog on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:14 pm

@aliasant

+1
Essential random order for chaotic repetitive sequences
tektoog
essemilian

Postby trogluddite on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Likewise for FlowStone too - the market leader there seems to be LabView, despite the fact that many engineers I speak to think it sucks - but at least LabView is cross-platform.
No-one is going to buy a second computer just to run this software, however good it is, and most 'creatives', educators and engineers will stick to their preferred platform as if their lives depended on it.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby wrave on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:21 pm

:D hello forum. I tried out Synthmaker for the first time this week. I harken from using FL Studio 6 for many years, and for the first time in months I turned on my PC so I could try out SM.

What have I been doing the past two years while letting my PC rot? I bought a Macbook Pro.

You know what disappoints me the most about my mac? There's hardly any VSTs on mac. At all.

I've since then learned how to use a wide variety of modular node-based tools. But this week, oh man. Synthmaker has the nicest block-and-noodle GUI I think I've ever played with.

+1

Don't just think about rewriting SM for Mac. I'm also an avid Blender user. One of the things that has done very well in the Blender community has been the drawing of our own GUI with straight OpenGL. That makes the program easily ported to almost any operating system: All flavors of Linux, Windows, Mac, Solaris, irix, et cetera.

Then, I also realize that there are issues with how modules would be handled across different Operating Systems. >:( Can you imagine how mad you would get if you found a module or plugin that was windows only? That would suck. And it could certainly happen.

One thing that's sort of reassuring -- on the flip side -- programs like Reaper on Mac have support for Windows-based VSTs. I don't know HOW the heck they're doing that, but it eliminates some of the struggle.

Anyway. I'm looking forward to making my first vst. ;) right now it's hard. and it's also hard knowing that I'm making something that I might not use if I'm running around with my mac all the time, and seeing lots of other musicians who also use mac I won't be able to share with them. So, it really should be considered.

Don't think about what sort of computers people buy when they walk in to a computer store. Think about what computers people see when they walk in to a music equipment store. macs. yeah... And it's going to stay that way for a while I think so long as Apple keeps making Logic.
wrave
essemer

Postby aliasant on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:35 pm

wrave wrote:...Reaper on Mac have support for Windows-based VSTs. I don't know HOW the heck they're doing that, but it eliminates some of the struggle.

huh? Really?

Btw. WELCOME :)
aliasant
smunatic

Postby infuzion on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:36 pm

aliasant wrote:
wrave wrote:...Reaper on Mac have support for Windows-based VSTs. I don't know HOW the heck they're doing that, but it eliminates some of the struggle.
huh? Really?
Seems like the newbie is schooling us ;)
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=58772
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby tgmx on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 am

djkreature wrote:Eh, mac don't need this, we got plenty of real good stuff going on right now for the Mother of All Computers.
Max for Live FTW, Sure if I was a beginner and needed an easy as playing with legos solution I'd just get a pc and play with Synthmaker and Fruitcake loops.

that is not true, max for live works only in ableton, you can't export as plug-in, and also doesn't works when Live is rewire slave, so for me as a Logic user is a no go.
Even newer max version is not able to export as plug-in anymore, cause pluggo is not more in development, also export was crap, because you needed pluggo libraries to be installed, so i can't call it exactly an export.
At present time the only option to do AUs or VSTs is to struggle with developer tools and have an high knowledge of programming languages.
Reaktor will never do an "export as plug-in" option, there are a couple of open source programming languages simplified for sound processing but still you have to struggle with texts.
I currently use reaktor like crazy and i have plenty of new stuff that i would like to commercialize, cause i've spent many days on those and i would like to have a little contribution for the time spent.
i check synthmaker website regurarly hoping to see a news about osx development, for me it will become a must buy the day 0 of release without regrets.
Last edited by tgmx on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
tgmx
essemer

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Requests