64 bit in the works?

Suggest new features, components or other changes to the software

Moderator: electrogear

64 bit in the works?

Postby nix on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 am

I was just wondering if Outsim plans to make SM 64 bit compatible? I understand there are significant advantages to 64bit OS?
Wishing contents
nix
smaniac

Re: 64 bit in the works?

Postby infuzion on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 pm

64 bit audio
or
64 bit Windows XP/Vista/7?
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby nix on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Operating system. Orion 64 bit is available now- linky> http://www.synapse-audio.com/index.php . I was wondering if folk think we will all go to 64bit OS?
Cheers
Also can 32 bit plugs run on a 64 bit OS?
nix
smaniac

Postby infuzion on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:48 am

Seems that 64bit hosts are going to be the wave of the future, near future actually.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby MichaelBenjamin on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:35 am

i run sm on win7 64 bit and i dont care if it gets ported to native 64.
64 bit audio on the other side would be similar to the 4xdouble float format, which is useful for filters, long iterative sequences and the waveplayer, where the precision is needed, so why not.
MichaelBenjamin
smaniac

Postby attic on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:19 am

Synthedit now has a 64bit version
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Postby infuzion on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:24 pm

MichaelBenjamin wrote:i run sm on win7 64 bit and i dont care if it gets ported to native 64.
I think 80% of the SM users don't care for now, but I know a SM developer who lost a big contract because of the lack of 64bit port.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby MichaelBenjamin on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:02 pm

whats the use besides ram usage for 64 bit? sm could first use all 32 bit ram.
if some contract is lost because of no 64 bit port for no apparent reason maybe it contained nonsense terms right from the beginning.
MichaelBenjamin
smaniac

Postby McBarGig on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:10 am

The terms of that agreement were simple, 32 and 64 bit support for VST plug. The deal was done, and 64 bit could not be accommodated, so the deal was lost. I know that guy, and it was an absolutely HUGE deal lost...I'd mention more of what it was about, but I'm under NDA so I can't, but lets just say, 64 Bit is an absolute must, no question about it. Without it, there is almost zero future for sm developed plugs past another year and a half, after that forget it.

People can argue and say why 64 bit is not important, but it is, and it is coming fast. It will be lack of 64 bit support that kills SM. If no one wants to run a 32 bit vst, then no one will want to develop them. Very simple...

It does not matter whether we can see usage for it, its whether the user sees usage for it. If the user sees they have to run bit bridge, or j-bridge, then they'll find options where they don't have to run that, those options will come in the form of other VST plugs that run native 64 bit and our plugs will simply not be used.

Some here awhile ago theorized that SM was a dieing product that Outsim had lost interest in it, well if they don't implement 64bit then that will tell you straight away that the product is on the way out. 64Bit should be at the very top of the list for things that SM needs to survive.

Just my 2 cents..
McBarGig
essemilian

Postby bootsy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Agreed, 64bit should be definately addressed 3:) this year bei Outsim.
Come and visit my Blog: Variety Of Sound
bootsy
essemilian

Postby nix on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:17 am

I thought I'd bump this one. I plan to go to 64 bit. If my plugs need to be bridged I probably won't.
Any thoughts Admin?
nix
smaniac

Postby infuzion on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:44 am

nix wrote:I thought I'd bump this one. I plan to go to 64 bit. If my plugs need to be bridged I probably won't.
Any thoughts Admin?
Are there really enough 64bit plugs for you to do that?
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby nix on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:33 am

I only need SM ones really :)
Sorry for not belling you for a while man, just straighten a lot of things out and send you updated .osms.
Much regard
edit-oh and I can run 32 bit Orion with plugs on 64,
but I am looking to access more RAM, as Entrancer's wavetables are so RAM heavy
nix
smaniac

Postby attic on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi nix

If my plugs need to be bridged I probably won't

You should do it. I went to win7 64 mid last year and truth be told it wasn't the huge pain that I had expected. I use Reaper and performance even if its bridged is great. It opens up extra resources and I also recommend getting an SSD as they are now cheaper very solid and speed your system along nicely. I haven't ran into very many programs that don't run well and if you do compatibility modes usually works to fix it. You will have to get used to the two programs folders x86 and 64 but that isn't anything to worry about as win 7 just uses separate folders for 64 and x86 programs. Do check for drivers before making the move but most mfg's have released stable drivers by now.

I do believe it is time for 64 bit but I hope that outsim works on real voice management first.
Last edited by attic on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Postby attic on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Are there really enough 64bit plugs for you to do that?

Depends on what your needs are, but I run certain setups that are all 64 bit. Usually I do my mastering in Reaper 64 with all 64 bit plugs. ( izotope, Fabfilter, Voxengo, Psp )

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Next

Return to Ideas and Requests