64 bit in the works?

Suggest new features, components or other changes to the software

Moderator: electrogear

Re: 64 bit in the works?

Postby trogluddite on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Very well said!

Even though I am just a 'bedroom tinkerer', this issue matters to me for precisely the reasons you outline at the end. I have no personal need for 64bit, VST3.x, Mac OS etc.; but I DO want to continue to use my favourite DSP mangling software in the future
You also mention the reputation for high CPU - which is also related to being 'behind the times' - i.e. even in assembly, we still only have access to a handful of the SSE2 op-codes, let alone later, more efficient extensions to the SIMD instruction set - presumably all of SM's built in primitives are also programmed using 'legacy' CPU instructions.

Unless they start to bring these factors up to date, lack of sales will eventually force them to stop selling, updating and supporting SM - in the worst case, leading to OutSim going out of business altogether.
For the many 'amateurs' here, our livelihood and professional status may not be damaged by this, as it would be for a 'pro' - but if we want to continue to use this software, we are still affected.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby tor on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:20 pm

I sent a mail to Malc about some crash error stuff. In the same mail I asked about 64 bit DSP.

I got an answer from Malc today and this is what he said about the 64 bit question:
We have a few double precision components which you probably already know about. We're not currently working on expanding on these but we wouldn't rule out doing so in the future.

Not around the corner i guess. But not ruled out at least.

I answerd him and encouraged him to get help from the most dedicated people with programming skills here on the forum.

Happy Smaking
Tor
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)

http://www.audioteknikk.net
tor
essemilian

Postby rl on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:12 pm

yes,but... as ryskdsp perfectly pointed out - 64 bit is about the memory model not double precision maths (which in its own right needs to be better supported too).
rl
dsp wiz

Postby aliasant on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:39 am

rl wrote:yes,but... as ryskdsp perfectly pointed out - 64 bit is about the memory model not double precision maths (which in its own right needs to be better supported too).

And to be able to export as a 64bit plug so that all those that are using 64bit Hosts can use them without any nasty conversions.
Everyone will soon use a 64bit host so the clock is ticking.
Sounds to me like maybe Malc misunderstood the question?
It's never to late to be late.....
http://martinrodensjo.smugmug.com/
aliasant
smunatic

Postby infuzion on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:29 pm

There are 2 "64 bit" issues:
1) 64bit OS-compatible VST & Exe Exporting. I assume that is what the OT was.
2) 64bit audio stream. Has a separate thread with a plan.
Last edited by infuzion on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby McBarGig on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:15 am

I asked Malc whether there was a plan in place for 64 bit, he just said its on the Radar..
McBarGig
essemilian

Postby nix on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:20 am

Yep,
the original topic was VST for 64 -bit OS
nix
smaniac

Postby Nu Audio Science on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Are we there yet ?
Oh blimey
Nu Audio Science
smunatic

Postby infuzion on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:41 am

See anything new here yet? viewforum.php?f=23
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Previous

Return to Ideas and Requests