Synthmaker roadmap?

Suggest new features, components or other changes to the software

Moderator: electrogear

Do we want a roadmap of further Synthmaker development?

yes, please
95%
no
No votes
meh (don't care)
4%

Total votes : 48

Synthmaker roadmap?

Postby rl on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:45 am

I'm a bit at the crossroads now. Should I abandon using Synthmaker and go native?
Because SM is lacking some features I need (the usual suspects: stable green timing, extensibility, etc).
Or is it worth waiting for some features being implemented.
One aid in building my decision could be Outsim showing a roadmap of further SM development/features.

What do you think?
rl
dsp wiz

Re: Synthmaker roadmap?

Postby stw on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:28 am

Though i fear it could be very disillusioning - yes a roadmap would be fine.
stw
smanatic

Postby MichaelBenjamin on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:54 am

even if it would not get developed any further, there are still so many things to explore, it does not matter. and that type of sandbox coding is just at the beginning of evolution so there may come up some other programs where you can apply what you have learnt here. however if synthmaker will be developed further with the crucial improvements it needs then this would be very nice.
btw going native is no option for me, i would drown quickly when i delved into that mudhole of a vstshell.
MichaelBenjamin
smaniac

Postby trogluddite on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:26 pm

I've no plans to move on from SM, but would be nice to have some idea where SM is headed, just to know which projects to pursue and which to put on the back burner.
I have no particular 'killer plugin' that I'm aiming at; so in the mean time, I find having a few limitations encourages creative thinking and the mutation of projects into new directions - sometimes being free to do absolutely anything you want can be a curse as much as a blessing.

Anyway, as soon as any of SMs current shortcomings are dealt with, I've no doubt we'll all find plenty of new things to complain about! 3:)
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby MichaelBenjamin on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:38 pm

trogluddite wrote:I find having a few limitations encourages creative thinking

thats right, and usually this is also more fun, just think of the sid chip and what people did with it in the last 10 years, they made this thing sound awesome in its own special colours.
and this is also one of the biggest challenges with computers that offer myriads of possibilities: to constrain oneself to an arbitrary made up ruleset and stick with it for some time.
MichaelBenjamin
smaniac

Postby trogluddite on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:51 pm

MichaelBenjamin wrote:to constrain oneself to an arbitrary made up ruleset and stick with it for some time.

Interesting - I kind of work the opposite way around, I make many little tiny things almost randomly until I find something which catches my attention - and this iterates whenever I find I have reached a 'blockage'.
Inspiration from what I see on the forum, or even things which are not at all DSP/Music related often give me a kick when I am stuck - or even indirect approaches like Eno's 'Oblique Strategies' when my focus is waning.

Sometimes I sure miss the days when I had only a cassette 4-track and a few guitar pedals - I sure made far more music back then.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby MichaelBenjamin on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:07 pm

yes, i think what you describe is the natural other side of this, wading trough the swamp forest at night with just a headlight, looking for other sources of light - you may meet some fairy that tells you something interesting, or you might find out that you followed some irrlicht (~errorlight, fen fire, i like that word) and take another route that looks more promising.
then - if you have collected enough tales of the fairies in your bag of fantasy rule blocks you can make a camp and start building something out of it. so synthmaker could be aswell regarded as some obscure sandbox video game.

btw the times where the rulesets were limited by the hardware surely made things easier, but in hindsight also .. also a bit more boring?
MichaelBenjamin
smaniac

Postby Tzarls on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:29 pm

I would for sure like to have some kind of road map - in fact, I asked for it before, during the times of 1.1.3 betas (in a thread named What to expect once 1.1.3 is out?). Yes, SM can do lots of things the way it is now, but there is one thing that it can´t do which is crucial for me - accurate green timing (or the posibility to delay MIDI events sample accurately). That´s why I´ve started doing some stuff in C++. But SM will remain in my toolset for a long time, I´m sure (I even used it to make it a scripter for building GUIs for my C plugins - if I ever get to finish it, I might post it here).

In the end, I find that SM has been a great learning tool, allowing me to concentrate on the actual DSP instead of also trying to make some obscure DSK to work for me.

If only SM has some "export to C++ code" feature.... ;)
Tzarls
smanatic

Postby sunsynth on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:05 am

Yeah - 100% for a roadmap!

Especially after FL-Version and now "FlowStone"

Latter got DirectSoundIn and the Audio-Selector that i cried 3 years now for... 3:)
sunsynth
smaniac

Postby aliasant on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:44 am

No sure I want one.
If there aint a "roadmap" I dont want to know.

If there is one, that would be great but if we "demand" one and Malc cant present it, for what ever reason, that puts Malc in a difficult situation and that would make us feel like there isnt any future, even if there is?
It's never to late to be late.....
http://martinrodensjo.smugmug.com/
aliasant
smunatic

Postby trogluddite on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:10 pm

sunsynth wrote: [flowstone] got DirectSoundIn and the Audio-Selector that i cried 3 years now for

So robot makers are getting new useful audio modules and the sound making nerds aren't? This is very bad news.
We have all supported OutSim for years both with our money, and by providing free tuition/documentation on the forum/wiki. While I can perfectly understand them wanting to expand into new markets, it would seem counter-productive and also rather ungrateful to leave behind their exisisting user base. Let's hope that this is not the case, and we will be seeing new Flowstone primitives 'trickle down' into SM.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby MegaHurtz on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:20 pm

too bad these topics dont get much responce from the people we adress them too.
They might read em, but..
Aliassing.. No, Bad logics.. Yes.
MegaHurtz
smaniac

Postby trogluddite on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Unfotunate for us - but not surprising. No small company is going to attract new cutomers by admitting what they are NOT going to be doing with their platform.
Notice also that the marketing for Flowstone DOESN'T say 'Built on the super-succesful SynthMaker engine' and is a DSProbotics product not an OutSim one - guess they don't want potential cutomers looking on the SM forum and noticing a load of users frustrated at the lack of development!! 3:)
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby infuzion on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:20 pm

trogluddite wrote:We have all supported OutSim for years both with our money, and by providing free tuition/documentation on the forum/wiki. While I can perfectly understand them wanting to expand into new markets, it would seem counter-productive and also rather ungrateful to leave behind their existing user base.
Well said.
BTW, time=money, plus we have to pay for the computers & electricity we use, & are now missing the time we could have done something else, like make music, so nothing really is free.

I feel really burned on SM; I'll never devote so much time/money on a 1 man company again. One never can expect to get the level of support required from a 1-2 man team that is needed for a big project with a wide customer base. Especially if those people don't seem to even use their own creation. Little widgets from a 1 many company like AudioDamage is fine though.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby mwvdlee on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:13 pm

A roadmap would be nice.
I fear there isn't one, though.
I'd just like to know whether S|M is dead in a defective state.
It's been awfully quiet apart from the release of FlowStone, which still has the same old show-stopper bugs as the most recent S|M.
My current top SynthMaker bug:
    1. MIDI Input issue (showstopper, no workaround)
    2. All my previous bugs in SM1.7, because bug 1 makes SM2 worse than SM1.7
mwvdlee
smanatic

Next

Return to Ideas and Requests