Tutorial: Triggers (Part 3)

Until our dedicated user library is in place you can post examples and modules here

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

Tutorial: Triggers (Part 3)

Postby trogluddite on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi all,
Here's a nice chunky .pdf guide to SMs triggered data system. It's a subject that comes up again and again here on the forum - not surprising I suppose, it is the part of SM that is least like any 'normal' form of programming or flowcharts etc.

Trigger Tutorial 003.pdf
(909.96 KiB) Downloaded 1079 times

Trigger Tutorial Examples 003.osm
(121.39 KiB) Downloaded 849 times

I'll keep the full tutorial at this top post. The .osm file contains the example schematics used in the tutorials - they will really help when reading the .pdf, and so that you can see the practical benefit of the various trigger optimising techniques.

I aim to add to this a little at a time, as I find the DTP stuff a bit time consuming, but I am aiming to work upwards from the basics, towards some of the more advanced 'Trigger Trimming' techniques.

Any comments, or suggestions for 'lesson plans' will be gratefully received - but please bear in mind that I'm doing this in my leisure time, so don't expect a complete SM 'Bible' any time soon!!
Last edited by trogluddite on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Re: Tutorial: Triggers

Postby tor on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Great start :)

I admire your dedication to help other people. Looking forward to the following lessons.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)

http://www.audioteknikk.net
tor
essemilian

Postby infuzion on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:08 am

Nice Toggie!
Too bad you did not post directly to the WiKi...
BTW, SM forum has a limit of 3 attachments per post. That is why I pre-reserved many successive posts when I made my module organization tutorial.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby stw on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:05 am

tor wrote:Great start :)

I admire your dedication to help other people. Looking forward to the following lessons.

+1

Nothing more to say!! I appreciate that explanation for dummys approach very much. Helped me most ;)
stw
smanatic

Postby sunsynth on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:08 am

Much appreciated - and hoping 4 the next ONE!

Well done...

cheers,
Walter
sunsynth
smaniac

Postby trogluddite on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 am

infuzion wrote:Too bad you did not post directly to the WiKi...

Oops, yes - should have linked it from there!
Much quicker for me to make a .pdf, I can work on OpenOffice even on my little netbook - lots of easy templates for making bookmarked section headings etc.
Rather than use more posts, I will just update the .pdf with the new bits all in one file - if the attachment get too big, I can always host the .pdf elsewhere and link to it (maybe even Malc would be interested to host some of these 'officially' on the SM server?)
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby billv on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Great stuff. Rather see a whole book though.
Why not dump your whole brain into a "couple of hundred pages", print a nice glossy book, get it
published and charge us each $50 or so. I'd pay straight up.
How many books are there on SM??....Nothing?????..
If you went to the publisher's with the idea they'd probably even finance it as you went along.
BV MUSIC SYDNEY AUSTRALIA-http://users.tpg.com.au/billv
Songwriting & Software Development.
billv
essemilian

Postby trogluddite on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, billy! :)
It's a lovely idea, but the trouble is, I already have a full time job (that I really like), about half a dozen SM projects on the go, take dozens of photos every week, twang my bass, whack some drums... - somehow or other, I even manage to have a vestigial family and social life!
So for now, I'll just keep plugging away at the .pdf as and when inspiration strikes - when I've got this one somewhere near finished, I will forward a copy to Malc to see what he thinks - maybe they could become part of the official doc's and he'll give me some nice FlowStone freebies!
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby stw on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:11 pm

trogluddite wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence, billy! :)
It's a lovely idea, but the trouble is, I already have a full time job (that I really like), about half a dozen SM projects on the go, take dozens of photos every week, twang my bass, whack some drums... - somehow or other, I even manage to have a vestigial family and social life!

Oh... so you're the 48 hours a day guy... ;)

If you really want to make some money out of it write a book about social time mangement!
I promise you'll get rich in near future... 3:)
stw
smanatic

Postby trogluddite on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:58 pm

He he, I just have to be careful I don't trip over the bags under my eyes!
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby attic on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:37 pm

I can work on OpenOffice even on my little netbook - lots of easy templates for making bookmarked section headings etc.

OpenOffice works really well for that.
Why not dump your whole brain into a "couple of hundred pages", print a nice glossy book, get it
published and charge us each $50 or so. I'd pay straight up.

Id buy it.
If you really want to make some money out of it write a book about social time management!
I promise you'll get rich in near future

Id buy this one also. Lol sleeps over rated anyhow.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Postby attic on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:40 am

I just finished reading the pdf and for someone who has been trying to learn SM, I have to say this was concise and just the type of description I have been needing. I hope to see more and really appreciate it.

Thanks Trog. :)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Postby adamszabo on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:22 am

Great stuff, please dont let this project die! I would buy a full book too, so you already got yerself 150$ ;)
adamszabo
essemilian

Trigger Triming Pro Tip

Postby infuzion on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Watch out for Area & Array-building maths; they can exponentially increase triggers. For example, if you want to move a graphic, you will normally use an Area To Float, do some math on the outputs, then merge them back into a Float to Area. Well, every float connection causes a new trigger, so you will have 4+ times the triggers coming out of the Float to Area! Do this a few times & you will get "trigger flurries".

Pro Tip: Keep track of the triggers leaving primitives & modules, & put a few Sample & Holds in the proper points.
Sample file: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9217&start=140
Attachments
tip-watch-reduce-triggers.PNG
tip-watch-reduce-triggers.PNG (37.65 KiB) Viewed 7232 times
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Re: Tutorial: Triggers (Part 2)

Postby trogluddite on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Part two of the tutorial is now available in the top post - along with a schematic of the examples used.
Sorry it took so long - 'll try to get part 3 out a bit quicker!!
trogluddite
smychopath

Next

Return to Examples