Basic SFZ player

Until our dedicated user library is in place you can post examples and modules here

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

Basic SFZ player

Postby Yuroun on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:15 pm

My try to create someting with the Multi Samples component.

The ADSR on the mainscreen is the main ADSR and does not represent the ADSR defined in the SFZ.
Attachments
Odeonv078b.osm
(732.78 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
Odeon-screen.jpg
Odeon-screen.jpg (60.67 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
User avatar
Yuroun
essemist
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Nethlands

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby attic on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Nice bass sound. I tried this and immediately started jamming out the bass line from Owner Of a Lonely Heart (Yes Cover). Nice to see your getting the sample players together. I did notice one odd thing but I don't think it would effect the way someone would normally use this bass sound, when you put the drop down to continuous mode and have a very small loop length it only loops in the lower keys and allows a small bit of the unlooped bass to pass through. I will have to check to see if this issue exists in the standard sfz module. I think you and I have similar goals with Synthmaker, let me know if you need any help or possible colab on something large. Anyhow Nice job. :)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
User avatar
attic
essemilian
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: San Francisco California

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby Yuroun on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:39 pm

attic wrote:Nice bass sound. I tried this and immediately started jamming out the bass line from Owner Of a Lonely Heart (Yes Cover)


Yes I know. Yes with Jon Anderson. It was a big hit when I was 15 :)

attic wrote:. Nice to see your getting the sample players together. I did notice one odd thing but I don't think it would effect the way someone would normally use this bass sound,


The bass sound was just an example. It was originally a public domain sf2. I converted it with ESC to sfz.


attic wrote:when you put the drop down to continuous mode and have a very small loop length it only loops in the lower keys and allows a small bit of the unlooped bass to pass through. I will have to check to see if this issue exists in the standard sfz module.


That's in the sfz module. I did not much change in that high level mod.


attic wrote:I think you and I have similar goals with Synthmaker, let me know if you need any help or possible colab on something large. Anyhow Nice job. :)


It's not bad for someone who's just playing with SM for 2 weeks :)

I think that we have both the same goals. Mine goal i's creating a sample player so I can sell high quality sound sets independant from a thirdparty product like Kontakt or something else. That player must have enough effects and filters with a lot of modulation options. Something like a mix between Alchemy, Absynth and Kontakt.
User avatar
Yuroun
essemist
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Nethlands

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby mccy on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:09 pm

GREAT; GREAT; GREAT!!!!!
Finally somethin to drop my SFZs and making instruments out of them!!! I just could not get the Multi Sample module working until now but now with this I got it, why! Thanks, so simple & me being so damn stupid.

Thank you!

Martin
mccy
essemer
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby Yuroun on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 am

mccy wrote:GREAT; GREAT; GREAT!!!!!
Finally somethin to drop my SFZs and making instruments out of them!!! I just could not get the Multi Sample module working until now but now with this I got it, why! Thanks, so simple & me being so damn stupid.

Thank you!

Martin



Yes, it's that simple :)
User avatar
Yuroun
essemist
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Nethlands

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby mccy on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:49 pm

But oh, just checked performance. One needs a mighty machine to run that... when playing several voices.
mccy
essemer
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby Yuroun on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:44 am

mccy wrote:But oh, just checked performance. One needs a mighty machine to run that... when playing several voices.


Hmmm I had no problem with performance and my machine isn't that mighty. This player uses 32 voices. You can turn that back in the voices module. The performance will increase.

Another tip: don't use long releases.
User avatar
Yuroun
essemist
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Nethlands

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby cyto on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 am

Am I missing something? I couldn't get any of these controls to work...

sfzControls.png
sfzControls.png (27.95 KiB) Viewed 2899 times

-cyto
User avatar
cyto
essemilian
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:36 am
Location: CIN | OH | USA

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby Yuroun on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:29 am

cyto wrote:Am I missing something? I couldn't get any of these controls to work...

sfzControls.png

-cyto


It works here. E.g. I can set panning to 100% left with -100.
User avatar
Yuroun
essemist
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Nethlands

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby attic on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:23 pm

@cyto Could you tell us what parts exactly don't work for you? I would like to make sure this doesn't have any bugs. This seems to work well on my machine.
But oh, just checked performance. One needs a mighty machine to run that... when playing several voices.

@mccy What are you getting for CPU usage in windows task manager? Also what are the specs on your machine.

@Yuroun Could you tell me what size those individual .wav files are and what are their total size? Also are they 44, 48 khz files? I think we should check to see if performance is better for 44, 48 also what the machine is running at during playback IE ASIO or Direct Sound, khz and buffer size on the soundcards. That way we have some info to look at optimizing the Sfz system.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
User avatar
attic
essemilian
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: San Francisco California

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby Yuroun on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:56 pm

From my experience with sfz files is that the wave file used, most not exceed the 15 mb limit for a total set.

On my own machine i had no problems with playing and loading large files with the multi sample player. My machine is a 3 years old dual core laptop with 3 gig of ram. I tested it with Synthmaker itself...

The orginal files in this player are taken from an old sf2 file. So the samples are 16 bits @44.1 Khz. They are small. I have no idea how much as I don't have the anymore.

when I have the time I test what the player can handle...
User avatar
Yuroun
essemist
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Nethlands

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby attic on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:06 pm

I will run it through some tests also. We can compare results. I have a three year old 3Ghz Intel DualCore with 8gig of ram.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
User avatar
attic
essemilian
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: San Francisco California

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby cyto on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 pm

attic wrote:@cyto Could you tell us what parts exactly don't work for you? I would like to make sure this doesn't have any bugs. This seems to work well on my machine.

Literally none of those controls in that panel worked. I would type in a number or select an entry from the list and nothing would change in the sound or in the mapping. I should note that when I tested it, it was just on my little netbook and only with the PC keyboard (so not the most hi-tech of environments), and I was just using the bass sfz that came with it.

-cyto
User avatar
cyto
essemilian
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:36 am
Location: CIN | OH | USA

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby Yuroun on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:22 pm

cyto wrote:
attic wrote:@cyto Could you tell us what parts exactly don't work for you? I would like to make sure this doesn't have any bugs. This seems to work well on my machine.

Literally none of those controls in that panel worked. I would type in a number or select an entry from the list and nothing would change in the sound or in the mapping. I should note that when I tested it, it was just on my little netbook and only with the PC keyboard (so not the most hi-tech of environments), and I was just using the bass sfz that came with it.

-cyto


You're right. I can't edit them either. It worked while I was working on this. I must have delete something while I was changing the player.

I didn't test the edit mode, because that part isn't what I need for a simple SFZ player.
User avatar
Yuroun
essemist
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Nethlands

Re: Basic SFZ player

Postby Yuroun on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:26 pm

mccy wrote:But oh, just checked performance. One needs a mighty machine to run that... when playing several voices.


When I press a 6 chord and have a 5 meg sample bank loaded, everything works fine then. Within synthmaker I get 7,7% cpu. That's not bad.
User avatar
Yuroun
essemist
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Nethlands

Next

Return to Examples

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests