cytoTools (part 1)

Until our dedicated user library is in place you can post examples and modules here

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

cytoTools (part 1)

Postby cyto on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:46 pm

I have a bunch of stuff floating around in various projects that I have built up over time. I thought that they may be useful to others and am in the slow process of getting them ready for "public consumption". So here is the first installment...

cytoTools-pt1.osm
(34.89 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

In this pack, there is a IEEE754 converter tools that lets you convert between different data representations of numbers as well as visualize and edit the bit statuses of different values. There is also a "stage 0" lookup table builder that generates the necessary asm code to build lookup tables of common curves according to user-specified values. Finally, there is an opcode reference that includes all of the opcodes supported by SM's assembler (to save you from going to the wiki).

Obviously, these are more for the "hardcore" coders around here, but they may be useful to those that are interested in diving into assembly but don't have a centralized reference for such tools. Anyway, if there is enough interest, I'll post more tools like this in the coming weeks.

Please let me know if you find any errors or have ideas to improve these tools!

-cyto
cyto
essemilian

Re: cytoTools (part 1)

Postby trogluddite on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks, that's great stuff! :D
The stage(0) code writer is proper magic - and perfectly explained too. How soon can you do one that writes upgrades for SM? ;)
The opcode helper also will save me loads of time too - my main PC isn't networked, so I have to boot up a separate machine every time I forget what opcodes I'm allowed to use!
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby martinvicanek on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:03 am

Amazing stuff, cyto, definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing!
martinvicanek
essemilian

Postby stw on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:21 am

martinvicanek wrote:Amazing stuff, cyto, definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing!

nothing more to say!! Image
Like to see part2,3,4,5.... ;)
stw
smanatic

Postby Xtinct on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 am

Wow :love:
Xtinct
essemilian

Postby pall on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:32 pm

It is a pleasure to see such schematics. :love:
Thanks cyto!
pall
essemilian

Postby cyto on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys! I'm happy that these will be useful to others and will definitely get to "cleaning up" some entries for "part 2".

I forgot to give due credit to martinvicanek for the math that the rational mapper code is based on. I find myself using that math (or a derivation of it) in almost every project I work on to get things scaled perfectly. So, major props go to him!

trogluddite wrote:How soon can you do one that writes upgrades for SM? ;)

Ha! if only... :D

-cyto
cyto
essemilian

Postby DigitalWhiteByte on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:11 pm

new sap cyto ;)
DigitalWhiteByte
smanatic

Postby trogluddite on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:38 pm

cyto wrote:I forgot to give due credit to martinvicanek for the math

Thanks to Martin too.
i think I learned more maths from you two, here on the forum, than my 'A' level maths teacher ever managed to teach me! :)
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby bootsy on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:07 pm

great stuff!

thanx for sharing,
bootsy
Come and visit my Blog: Variety Of Sound
bootsy
essemilian

Postby martinvicanek on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:50 pm

trogluddite wrote:i think I learned more maths from you two, here on the forum, than my 'A' level maths teacher ever managed to teach me! :)

Thanks, Trog. The problem is at school we never thought that the stuff we were supposed to learn could actually be useful some day. ;)
martinvicanek
essemilian

Return to Examples