TextySizer: convert text to audio

Until our dedicated user library is in place you can post examples and modules here

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

TextySizer: convert text to audio

Postby TomC on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:28 pm

G'day you nerds Image

when I've made my yearly disk-cleanup last month I've stumbled upon a small little application I've made 2 years ago.

It reads text files and converts the ASCII-values into notes which it plays (in fact it can play every file type, but keep in mind that some binary files like .exe or .dll may contain binary values which are interpreted as 'end of file' makers and therefore my application won't load those files completely).

Of course such an application is more or less completely useless, that's why I like it Image
Pretty Underground, huh?

Some instructions:
  • Unpack the .zip file to whatever folder you like best and start the application.
  • Note Length: here you can adjust how long a single note plays. Increase it for a more psychedelic experience, or decrease it if you're one of those techno loving people.
  • Gain: gain output control.

Some random information:
  • Tests showed that, for whatever reason unknown to mankind, .pdf and .ppt (Powerpoint) files sound pretty good.
  • Using earphones is recommended to hear all those little stereo effects.
  • It's NOT assembler optimized. Buy a faster computer if it's too slow on your PC.
  • On some machines, when you start it for the very first time there maybe some crackles during playback before the internal state machine is fully initialized. Dunno why this happens, but it goes away after some time.
  • Files with lots of sequences with the same ASCII value produce, when played fast, some trance like sequencing sound.
  • Each note is context sensitive, that means how it is played and how it sounds may or may not be influenced by the notes played before. Some effects (like the desert storm sound) may never get played in one file, whereas it's always there when a different file is played. You'll find out.
  • You can also play with whatever MIDI-input device you have at hand, but keep in mind that notes played via MIDI don't pass the internal harmonics sequencer and therefore may create unpleasant feedback loops. MIDI input is a side effect from testing, not a feature.
  • The notes are computed in a deterministic way, but the results are sometimes non-deterministic, so the same file or note sequence doesn't always produce the same sound or melody. No, there's no random generator inside. No I'm not EXACTLY sure why this happens. Maybe some magic happens there...

Thank you for wasting your time Image

Tom
Attachments
MCR-TextySizer-Z .zip
TextySizer
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 380 times
.signature failure
TomC
smanatic

Re: TextySizer: convert text to audio

Postby loopeytunes on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm

That's pretty cool, I've been playing with it for a while now and it's mint :D

Thanks for sharing

LT
loopeytunes
essemilian

Postby rl on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:22 pm

sheer beauty!

but wouldn't it been even more underground if you had just talked about it without posting the example?
rl
dsp wiz

Postby attic on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:58 am

Could we get a vst version to try as the exe files from Synthmaker don't work with my motu card. ... Or if you don't mind showing an osm that would also be nice.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Postby bootsy on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 am

TomC wrote:G'day you nerds Image
Of course such an application is more or less completely useless, that's why I like it Image
Pretty Underground, huh?

*rofl*
Come and visit my Blog: Variety Of Sound
bootsy
essemilian

Postby TomC on Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:40 pm

attic wrote:Could we get a vst version to try as the exe files from Synthmaker don't work with my motu card. ... Or if you don't mind showing an osm that would also be nice.

Oops, completely forgot to answer. Find attached the plug-in-dll.

Tom
Attachments
MCR-TextySizer-Z .zip
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 236 times
.signature failure
TomC
smanatic

Postby tester on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Cool device :-)
Could you post OSM somewhere?
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
Thank you for your contribution.
tester
smanatic

Return to Examples