frequency to pitch

Sound synthesis techniques, DSP and related mathematics

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

frequency to pitch

Postby oddson on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:31 am

Can anyone tell me how to get the pitch value from a frequency ratio?

I can replicate the p2f math but not the inverse function. :S

(I thought there would be a primitive for this - at least green if not a stream.)
oddson
wiki guru

Postby oddson on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:48 am

Found it

Since f(hz)/440hz is a ratio I assume I can do the same with normalized values.

f2p.osm
oddson
wiki guru

Postby Acrobat on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:25 am

oddson wrote:Found it

Since f(hz)/440hz is a ratio I assume I can do the same with normalized values.

f2p.osm

:o Where is that 69 coming from? :o
Acrobat
smaniac

Postby chackl on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Notepitch of the frequency 440Hz
Mainstream Audio
A Company for cheap hightec-VSTi
chackl
essemilian

Postby Acrobat on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:19 pm

chackl wrote:Notepitch of the frequency 440Hz

oh yes... LA! :blush:
Acrobat
smaniac

Postby infuzion on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:06 am

I'm not so good at math, but I can reduce OK:
oddson wrote:Imagef2p.osm
I'm too lazy to post a screenshot:
Code: Select all
MIDIpitch~=log10(f*50.1136)*39.8631+69
before: 10 primitives, including 2 divides
after: 6 primitives, 0 divides
WIKI (if you want to post your middle-steps odd)
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby oddson on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:56 am

The problem is sample rate... for normalized frequencies f(A4) is constant only within any given sample rate... but multiplying by the calculated inverse is much better since I only want the division done once and not with every change of the input. And there was some other waste too...

As for primitive count I don't worry about a handful of simple primitives as long as they bring something to the table. Sometimes it's comprehensibility.

Interestingly you don't need to use 69... you can use zero just as well as the pitch-to-frequency primitive lets you start at any value including note=0.

There are some other consolidations that cut down the math still further.

So, with note=0 and consolidating the log math
freq2pitch.osm

I think this is the minimal version that still calculates from normalized frequency correctly for varying sample rates.
oddson
wiki guru

Postby exonerate on Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:47 am

It can be done without any divides while still keeping sample rate independence.....

Doesn't really save anything though I guess.

cheers ;)

Exo
Flowstone Guru Blog and download site for Flowstone /Synthmaker!
Fightware - My Mobile fitness apps.
exonerate
smaniac

Postby infuzion on Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:09 pm

I'm confused... does the P-F read the sample rate?
TIA
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby Acrobat on Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:40 pm

infuzion wrote:I'm confused... does the P-F read the sample rate?
TIA

No, it boosts a normalized freq, where 0 is 0 hz and 1 is SR/2, TMK...

EDIT: --mh so why 0 input ouputs 0.0003..? - mmmh
:S
Acrobat
smaniac

Postby exonerate on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:08 pm

Acrobat wrote:
infuzion wrote:I'm confused... does the P-F read the sample rate?
TIA

No, it boosts a normalized freq, where 0 is 0 hz and 1 is SR/2, TMK...

EDIT: --mh so why 0 input ouputs 0.0003..? - mmmh
:S

The pitch to freq does take into account the samplerate,

The reason why you see 0.0003 output is because the pitch range is the same as midi, Midi note 0 is not 0 freq because the midi range is only 127 steps and that doesn't cover the whole frequency range,

So midi number 0 is 8.1758 hertz and 127 is 12543.9 hertz

As you can see converting a pitch of 0 to freq will not give you 0 freq because of the limited midi range.
Flowstone Guru Blog and download site for Flowstone /Synthmaker!
Fightware - My Mobile fitness apps.
exonerate
smaniac

Postby oddson on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Like Exo says, P-F provided a normalized frequency for a given midi pitch. So it's dependant on sample rate.

As for avoiding divides... the 1/x primitive only gets called once so there's no divide with each new value. It's 2 multiplies and a log10 calculation for each change in frequency.
oddson
wiki guru

Postby infuzion on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:51 pm

OK, thanks! & I fixed the WIKI.

oddson wrote:As for primitive count I don't worry about a handful of simple primitives as long as they bring something to the table. Sometimes it's comprehensibility.
I have to keep on top of reduction, or else my huge OSMs will become so big I can't edit them. My own MultiEnv is 230Kb with 3 included patches, & that is after alot of reduction. I do keep just enough extras to keep it understandable, so if I wanted I could reduce down to 210kb if I pushed it. Without any reduction, I'm sure it would have been 400k+, & slower due to all the primitives. If each VST has atleast 4 envs (easily more), that would have been 1.2Mb before adding the first OSC. :S

But I do try to keep the original & readable versions on my HD for reference, so I'm grateful for more explanatory versions as well. :)
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby oddson on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:36 pm

I hear ya... but most primitives are only a few bytes of data in an OSM and I don't think they're any bigger in a VST or exe.

Unless I'm using a module hundreds of times I don't worry about extracting every last one I can.

That said in this case I had missed several opportunities for reducing the footprint and processing speed of the module.

Certainly one should look for divides that are in-line with the data input and if they can be extracted (with a reciprocal multiplication like above) then they should be. But a divide that is downstream for something that only changes very rarely (like with a sample-rate change or after a resize of a GUI element) then I don't worry about that.

Clever planning will save you more memory and CPU than picking out a few primitives here and there.
oddson
wiki guru

Postby infuzion on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:34 am

oddson wrote:I hear ya... but most primitives are only a few bytes of data in an OSM and I don't think they're any bigger in a VST or exe....
Clever planning will save you more memory and CPU than picking out a few primitives here and there.
A little extra here, a few there... you're beginning to sound more like a politician when planning a budget ;)

Placing in a Float with a value of "1" & a Stream Mult adds exactly 38b uncompressed.

While it is good to have a well explained version to study, I prefer to have reduced versions handy since I never know when & how much I'll need that module.

I also find some great "Clever planning" ideas while I reduce that I wouldn't see otherwise. Sometimes if you just get in good habits, the need to reduce lessens.

Feel free to add your tips here:)
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Next

Return to Sound