Finally a topic that got me into registering to this forum
I started working on a "303 emulator" a while ago, after getting my hands on a Devilfish. I based my work loosely on Creakbox sources and fiddled around, figured out ways to make a simple 16 step sequencer etc... from my experience, here's a few comments regarding Creakbox:
The oscillators are nothing like the real thing. Not bad in itself, but... there was once a good description on how a 303 generates the waveforms, sadly I can't find it with Google anymore. Simple stuff though (basically), as it was just generating the other waveform (square quite likely) from the other one (that'd be saw then
- some phase magic should be all you need. But they're not really square and saw, there's some good analysis on these on some of those 303 fanatic sites.
The filter is... useable until someone with good ears and skills gets it done better. It was surprising to hear how far the emulations still are from the real thing. Especially with all that accent brings into the equation.
Accent still seems to be off in all emulations. However, a 'good enough' approximation is more than enough for me, and this is rather easy in SM. Of course once you get down to all the details (such as the way accent affects the amount of resonance with repeated accented notes) there's a lot of painful little additions you have to make.
Anyways... what I've been working on isn't supposed to be an accurate emulation. Instead I'm basing it on Devilfish and the features it offers compared to the original one. I'm also adding some extra things, such as controls that extend it a little further, a sort of second oscillator (I'm not using it in a traditional way, and without going into details I'll mention it will always be synced to the main osc), and faking a self-oscillating filter in order to do what Devilfish does (as it contains modifications to the filter that make it oscillate, and in certain modes, using just the oscillating filter as the only sound source, sounds really freaky!)... oh, and "emulating" the way Devilfish snaps and pops every now and then (because of mods done to the envelopes), except mine will be a fully controllable feature and not just a byproduct of too fast envelopes...
I have to say that it will take a long time and some major additions to SM before I get it all done... thank god the code component is getting better. For me, dealing with stuff that's simple to 'real coders' such as scaling knob values to a certain range etc has been the hard stuff, as I've figured all the structures of the different components a long time ago, with the magic of these ancient devices called pen and paper :P Also, being the anal person that is me, I'll try to get all the nonlinearities and idiosyncracies of the envelopes etc. nailed down at some point. Hopefully I'll also own a Devilfish in the near future, but that's another story.
Without SM this would have never been possible to me, and for that I'm grateful to the people behind it. And to everybody who have been posting stuff on this forum, all the examples and so on are what got me hooked on SM
Nice to see that the first collaborative project is something that I myself have been working on. If I have anything of any use to this project, I'll make sure I contribute it to the project.
Keep up the good work, ppl
Ps. Yes, I'm that 303 fanatic from KVR forums :P