Open Rompler V1.0.0

Special collaborative projects managed by SynthMaker users

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

Open Rompler V1.0.0

Postby Nu Audio Science on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:43 am

OSM deleted for now until we work out how we want to share the files
Open rompler, the idea ?
Create a Rompler engine that can be released as a VSTi that can be completely skinned (the current UI is temporary and shite hehe) I have that fully implemented in another plugin, just haven't got round to implementing it here yet, but it works great so I wouldn't work on that part if i where you.
Why do this ?
Lots of sample pack devs would love to have a free to use Rompler engine they could put on their site so that their sample packs become instruments straight off the bat and they haven't had to pay any particular company stupidly high licence fees. (This will also help in removing a lot of the anti SM vibe if we do it right)
What needs doing ?
To be honest here it is a couple of years since i built this based on an alpha version of the sfz components Malc sent me, so i suspect it could do with overhauling a little, the CPU is not too heavy, the UI is a temporary one because like i say it needs to be fully skinnable, the next major step would be to implement extra parts into the sound engine itself that could be put into the synth chain via a config file, so that afore mentioned sample devs can pick and choose what they want (Maybe some routing in the config too. (Most of the current features where added in to test)

I will put up an open rompler website once we are further along ;)

You can use this OSM to learn but unless you are going to post enhancements or fixes back into the project please do not release it as your own (I will go out of my way to publicize any misuse, this is a project for the entire music community)

Anyway
Test it
Discuss it
Lets get this rolling

Please remember to add a text in the OSM if you mod it at all, so that all mods can be gathered together

NAS
Oh blimey
Nu Audio Science
smunatic

Re: Open Rompler V1.0.0

Postby infuzion on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:55 am

Nu Audio Science wrote:You can use this OSM to learn but unless you are going to post enhancements or fixes back into the project please do not release it as your own (I will go out of my way to publicize any misuse, this is a project for the entire music community)
I can guarantee this will happen. Perhaps in months or years, likely weeks. I suggest a take-down, & lend the OSM purely on a by-request basis. There are a few who keep doing it. There is a new-ish thread on KVR asking for 303 emulations, & at least 2 if not 3 are more or less direct copies of SM's tb303, I think at least 1 for sale, with out credits.

I follow the internet's basic rule: "If you do not want people to steal it, do not put it on the internet!"
That is why I rarely post OSMs anymore.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby Nu Audio Science on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:09 am

I'm not sure what to say to that
Do you think i should create a page and private file store for the project Inf ?
Oh blimey
Nu Audio Science
smunatic

Postby infuzion on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:15 am

Nu Audio Science wrote:I'm not sure what to say to that
Do you think i should create a page and private file store for the project Inf ?
Yes; you expect too much from humanity, you assume people have morals. Most do not; 90% people will bootleg $1.00USD& even free software. Even copyright lawyers steal website pages. Copyrights & usage-requests mean nothing on the internet.

Maybe try a Diglo account for this project?

BTW, there is a de-zipper primitive now, no need to use that beta Code version ;)
I hope you don't mind if I use this Code in my OSMs without giving you a % ;) O:)
Code: Select all
streamin in;
streamout out;
stage(0)
{
out = in*127;
}
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby Nu Audio Science on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:22 am

OK i have set up a diglo account, anybody who wants to get involved can do so by messaging me their email addy here ;)

NAS
Oh blimey
Nu Audio Science
smunatic

Postby philter5 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:04 am

infuzion wrote:
Nu Audio Science wrote:You can use this OSM to learn but unless you are going to post enhancements or fixes back into the project please do not release it as your own (I will go out of my way to publicize any misuse, this is a project for the entire music community)
I can guarantee this will happen. Perhaps in months or years, likely weeks. I suggest a take-down, & lend the OSM purely on a by-request basis. There are a few who keep doing it. There is a new-ish thread on KVR asking for 303 emulations, & at least 2 if not 3 are more or less direct copies of SM's tb303, I think at least 1 for sale, with out credits.

I follow the internet's basic rule: "If you do not want people to steal it, do not put it on the internet!"

i can only agree with infuzion here... there are also versions of the ARP Odyssey Project that AM started here,
just stolen and used under another name.... first time i saw this it was COMMERCIAL, now it´s for free.
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... sey&id=801
but that´s why i rarely post OSM files, too. People WILLL steal it, definitely, today or tomorrow or whenever...
---Yes, a piece of software CAN be your best friend---
philter5
smaniac

Postby MegaHurtz on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:57 am

infuzion wrote:I follow the internet's basic rule: "If you do not want people to steal it, do not put it on the internet!"

I recall you helped mc bargig doing his amp simulator, I own a copy now, Is he really singed by waves?
That thing is wicked!
But yr right, paranoia should be setting in before you post anything :)

On the other hand Ill be glad to see this project evolving into something good, so ill be glad to pitch in if im present to do so. Not that a little rompler is the holy grail of your effords right? might be a good inspirational project for all the samplists out there. TBH i dont know anymore who to thank for the interpolation codes, wich to this day ill be using to great extend (optimal 4th practically fused to my arrays).
Aliassing.. No, Bad logics.. Yes.
MegaHurtz
smaniac

Postby infuzion on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:51 pm

MegaHurtz wrote:I recall you helped mc bargig doing his amp simulator, I own a copy now, Is he really singed by waves?
That thing is wicked!
But yr right, paranoia should be setting in before you post anything :)
I helped a little bit, but McBarGig had to keep most of the OSM to himself; almost all his amp sims have secrets that he won't share ;)
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby trogluddite on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:07 pm

3:) Health Warning: Devil's advocate in a particularly trolly mood! 3:)

"Open Rompler V1.0.0" - so is it open-source or not? If there is no intention to make money from this project, and it is to be a 'good will' project to enhance the reputation of SM and those who use it, why does it matter what anyone else might get up to with it? What exactly is it that they will have 'stolen' from us?

infuzion wrote:Yes; you expect too much from humanity, you assume people have morals. Most do not; 90% people will bootleg $1.00USD& even free software.

Not 90% of "people" - 90% of a particular group of people who downloaded what is essentially nothing more than a way to fill some time that they lack the imagination to use for anything more constructive or creative. Why do those people even own an iFad - do they really need one? - did they use their previous gadget fully to the end of its useful life before tossing it away? - maybe they are all in the top percentile of particularly shallow, easily-led people of whom we might expect that kind of behaviour?
i.e. your interpretation of the statistic is heavily biased towards pessimism.

I'm not suggesting that in any way the developer's time and energy is intrinsically worthless. But it is a sad indictment of our times that people who want to engage in play or creativity are constantly pushed the meme that this must involve acquiring ever shinier toys - which more often than not are less engaging and rewarding than those that went before. It is little surprise that these throw-away trinkets do not immediately conjure up thoughts of their "value" - somewhere deep down I believe that we all recognise that an iDevice full of app's is not really of any more "value" than a walk in the countryside or an engaging conversation - which mercifully are still free (so far!).

I also don't really believe that there is such a lack of morals, more that we have been pumped full of the fear to act upon them. We have succumbed to living in a way where we have 'outsourced' ever more of our decision making. We are saturated with marketing and advertising pushing the idea that there is always an expert out there who can tell us how to live and what to buy in order to "succeed" - or at least to be seen as successful.
Most "Westerners" have accepted that it is OK to live in a consumer society that simply cannot be sustained by the world's ever diminishing resources (or our mountain of debt). To thoroughly tackle our morals head-on means contemplating tearing down a world in which we are rather comfortable at other's expense - acting on our moral impulses becomes the first step heading into a frighteningly unknown wilderness.
Almost every image/soundbite in the media contains the implication that you are shit because you *haven't got one of these/don't look as good as this model/don't get laid as much as this guy* (delete as applicable) - it rubs off, and makes us fear doing "the right thing" lest we damage our social standing.
I think that most of us don't really "not care", but life is easier if we pretend to ourselves that we don't; a simple case of denial to avoid the inevitable cognitive dissonance.
I have always thought that it is this that has lead to the rapid rise of anxiety spectrum mental health problems over the course of the last century. Certainly my own experience is that my sense of well-being improved massively once I stopped worrying what people thought about me and my possessions and allowed myself to trust my more 'humanitarian' instincts.

Oh yes, before anyone else points it out - sat here in my centrally heated home in front of my two computers, drinking Sprite (TM), I am well aware that I am a hypocrite! ;) (but at least I don't own an iFad)

P.S. I bear no ill will to any of you - quite the reverse, if I thought your opinions were worthless, I wouldn't bother argueing.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby TomC on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Nu Audio Science wrote:OSM deleted for now until we work out how we want to share the files

Open isn't open when it's not open.

When you post in on Diglo everyone and his sister can send you an email, and you are not always able to verify who the person might be. And it'll be a PITA to keep track of different versions.

May I suggest the Registered User forum?

Tom
.signature failure
TomC
smanatic

Postby Nu Audio Science on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:47 am

I'm starting to think this was a really stupid idea
Nearly a whole pages of posts that have little to do with the idea and more to do with where the OSM should be posted
Not sure what to do now to be honest

NAS
Oh blimey
Nu Audio Science
smunatic

Postby MegaHurtz on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:34 am

Dont forget people might actually be able to be thankfull.
To some (as in my case) its only the way around the formal stuff, Who knows some pre-informed noob will
step up to the plate to help you out in return someday.
I guess ittd be Thank you all, for conceiving ways to make it optimal.
Aliassing.. No, Bad logics.. Yes.
MegaHurtz
smaniac

Postby nix on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:52 am

I think it's a top idea NAS.
I can work on batch loading, as I've done the preliminary stuff for that.
I would rather use .wav though, hmm.
I'm not all that motivated, but can chip in a bit.
I can help with trumpet and sitar libraries, bass and electric too.
nix
smaniac

Postby trogluddite on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Nu Audio Science wrote:Nearly a whole pages of posts that have little to do with the idea

Sorry NAS, not really the appropriate place for my little rant! - the point really is that where the file is placed affects what good guys you attract as much as which bad guys.

I'm always hanging around this place, so if you do decide to put it here, you can be sure that I will do my best to be one of the good guys and help out. (and I promise I'll try to stay on-topic! ;) ).
A decent Rompler is a big gap in the existing SM 'portfolio' - maybe it could even be considered as an example for Malc to put up on the SM website? (only with the agreement of those involved, of course, and maybe with only a limited sound-set) - no disrespect to the programmers of the current examples, I still use many of them, just that there's nothing there that demonstrates any of SM's newest capabilities.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby attic on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:49 am

I would have liked to have been a part of this. :(
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Next

Return to Projects