Disable mousewheel zoom

Suggest new features, components or other changes to the software

Moderator: electrogear

Disable mousewheel zoom

Postby mwvdlee on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:34 pm

Disable mousewheel zoom

Please!

When working with code and asm, I spend LITERALLY half my time zooming and panning back after SM wrongly zoomed the window instead of scrolling a multiline primitive.
For a feature that is essentially useless, that is a LOT of time wasted.

As the very least give us an option to disable the mousewheel zoom.

Having useable access to the mousewheel would be great. Being able to set zoom using a module would be sweet. But really, I don't care as long as I'm not forced to use this INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING non-feature.

So, please, please, pretty please; remove mousewheel zoom.
My current top SynthMaker bug:
    1. MIDI Input issue (showstopper, no workaround)
    2. All my previous bugs in SM1.7, because bug 1 makes SM2 worse than SM1.7
mwvdlee
smanatic

Re: Disable mousewheel zoom

Postby trogluddite on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:43 pm

+1.
Drives me mad too - especially, like you say, as there are so many useful things the wheel could be used for.

Ideally, I'd like to see it context sensitive - i.e. Over text/code - scrolls text; Over empty workspace - scroll workspace (modifier key to scroll L-R); over a mouse area - directed to 'mouse wheel' prim with accumulator and up/down/click trigger outputs. (and then maybe zooming if it is over the zoom slider, or maybe a modifier key when over empty workspace)
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby stw on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:58 pm

That mouswheel request is one of the oldest topics here. I guess a simple +1 won't change anything on the ignorance concerning that issue. So don't waste any time on waiting on any significant changes with SM.
I've no clue why there's no reaction from malc (or any other "official") to all these writings here.
There're some essential requests floating around for years which lack attention. That's a sad situation which leaves me (and i guess many more) absolutly frustrated and unsatisfied.
Sorry - but the more i read in the requests and ideas forum the more i come into a bad mood! xP
stw
smanatic

Postby tektoog on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Pray for the best... Hope for the rest... or the opposite...
Essential random order for chaotic repetitive sequences
tektoog
essemilian

Postby trogluddite on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Indeed, the odds are stacked against us. But the odds can only get lower if we decide never to speak of the things that bother us - and there's never any harm in consoling a fellow SM'er by letting then know that they do not suffer alone. O:)

And sometimes it's just nice to have a bitch to get it out of your system. 3:)
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby infuzion on Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:59 am

Or just be able to configure zoom to mouse wheel, wheel + [CTRL], etc.
Are there 3rd party utils that allow disabling/diverting the mouse wheel?
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby stw on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:45 am

infuzion wrote:Are there 3rd party utils that allow disabling/diverting the mouse wheel?

I use "Mouse Wheel control" for disabeling in SM
http://www.ardamax.com/
stw
smanatic

Postby infuzion on Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:25 am

stw wrote:
infuzion wrote:Are there 3rd party utils that allow disabling/diverting the mouse wheel?
I use "Mouse Wheel control" for disabeling in SM http://www.ardamax.com/
Thanks for the link, but $15 for an app that hasn't been updated since Win2003 & has no x64 version...
How about (thanks to google "Mouse Wheel control") http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMou ... ontrol.htm free & x64-able!
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby mwvdlee on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:29 am

infuzion wrote:
stw wrote:
I use "Mouse Wheel control" for disabeling in SM http://www.ardamax.com/
Thanks for the link, but $15 for an app that hasn't been updated since Win2003 & has no x64 version...
How about (thanks to google "Mouse Wheel control") http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMou ... ontrol.htm free & x64-able!

That's a nice one!
Looks like it can be configured to only fix SM and leave everything else unchanged.
Wonder if it'll allow the wheel to be remapped to something useful in SM as well.
My current top SynthMaker bug:
    1. MIDI Input issue (showstopper, no workaround)
    2. All my previous bugs in SM1.7, because bug 1 makes SM2 worse than SM1.7
mwvdlee
smanatic

Postby trogluddite on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:03 pm

Nice find infuzion!

Guess it doesn't really help to make 'mouse wheel' controls for end-users (they would need the app. too), but looks a nice way to customise our editing workspace.
Better still (for little old me), I think you may have solved one of my major frustrations at work - 5 different drawing/CAD app's that all have utterly different mouse behaviour! I got my KB shortcuts customised to something like a standard way of working, but my colleagues are a little tired of hearing the foul language directed at my PC when I go to rotate a CAD design, and end up zooming so far out that I can't see it any more!
trogluddite
smychopath

Return to Ideas and Requests