Cubase and automation

Discuss suspected defects before submitting a bug report

Moderator: electrogear

Cubase and automation

Postby stw on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:51 pm

here's a bug which nagged me the whole day before i found out what happens. Strange thing is that this bug appears only in Cubase and in no other host i have (Reaper,FL). So if Steinberg hadn't invented that whole VST story i'd blame Cubase for messing up things... but unfortunately....
However here's the bug report.
A VST parameter with enabled "preset" input but disabled "auto" input messes with Cubase automation parameters.
In a nutshell: Not only the disabled parameter is filtered but also one additional parameter which is NOT disabled at the SM VST prim. I found the following rule:
The disabled parameter is filtered by cubase. All following parameters are moving up one position in the automation parameter list. Now Cubase additionally filters out the position where the disabled parameter would usually appear. But due to the first filtering there's not the disabled parameter itself but the next one which filled that slot. Sounds a bit complicated - so here's an example which can be verified with my example osm.
We have these parameters:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 and disable parameter 0 and 2 for automation. Which should result in:
1 3 4 5 6. That is what shows up e.g in Reaper. But Cubase does this: We disabled position 0 and 2. These are now filled with parameter 1 and 4. So what appears is just:
3 5 6.

It would be very kind if some Cubase owner could verify that because i stumbled over that shortly before my next release. And this is yet another showstopper.

So here's the osm.
autotest.osm
(8.77 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
stw
smanatic

Re: Cubase and automation

Postby TomC on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:32 am

SynthMakers problems with Cubase automation (which can be tracked down to current Cubase version is VST 2.4 or newer, whereas SynthMaker is still VST 2.3) let me stop ALL of my commercial SM-projects about 2 years or so ago.

There are some ugly workarounds for some(!) of the problems, but as it is now I can't recommend SM for commercial work. At least if you want to actually make some money and don't be drowned in support for problems you can't fix.

It's sad.

Tom
.signature failure
TomC
smanatic

Postby stw on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:52 am

TomC wrote:SynthMakers problems with Cubase automation (which can be tracked down to current Cubase version is VST 2.4 or newer, whereas SynthMaker is still VST 2.3) let me stop ALL of my commercial SM-projects about 2 years or so ago.

There are some ugly workarounds for some(!) of the problems, but as it is now I can't recommend SM for commercial work. At least if you want to actually make some money and don't be drowned in support for problems you can't fix.

It's sad.

Tom

Hi Tom,
thanks for answering. I know your Cubase adventures from earlier posts.
I guess the most important bugs (which made SM unuseable in Cubase) have been fixed in the latest release. That particular automation thing is new to me. I posted it here because i didn't want to file an unverified bug report to Malc.
Did you test the described issue?
stw
smanatic

Postby MDMA on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:49 am

I know this is a bit of a old post but just to say that I can confirm this behaviour on Cubase 5.1!
MDMA
essemist

Postby stw on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:09 am

MDMA wrote:I know this is a bit of a old post but just to say that I can confirm this behaviour on Cubase 5.1!

Thanks for testing!
stw
smanatic

Postby tester on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 am

You know, doing things in SM/FS - I simply resigned from liking Steinberg kids and started to love Reaper ;-)

I think it's not a bad idea to dedicate plugins to specific types of hosts in order to force companies like Steinberg to think. If a plugin is good in what it can do, and does not works in Steinberg, then it's simple - Reaper will win the market in that area. It's not the age of monopoly.
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
Thank you for your contribution.
tester
smanatic

Return to Bugs