Hints, tips and discussion about graphics and user interface elements

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

Funky Mountains

Postby trogluddite on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Funky Mountains.png
Funky Mountains.png (45.75 KiB) Viewed 4738 times

Quadrature Experiments v6A Hilbert.osm
(74.96 KiB) Downloaded 472 times

Here's an animated pseudo waterfall plot for frequency graphs etc.
Feed the display module with a float array of your choice, and then send ticks to animate!
Not very tidy at the moment (at least needs a decent properties panel) - I'll try to update later with something a little more versatile.

The frequency correlator is just part of an experiment from the Pitch Detector thread - it shows 4 octaves of semitones starting at the base frequency (no proper scaling) - one of SMs FFT primitives would work equally well, though be careful how many points you plot (the layered graph modules will suck CPU if the graphs are very big).
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Re: Funky Mountains

Postby smokeysteve22 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:12 pm

I can never seem to open your .osm files?
Always give me an - schematic type not found error.
smokeysteve22
essemer

Postby trogluddite on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Hmm, there's been a lot of downloads of this - and no other problems reported.
The only possible causes I can think of are...

-Your version of SM is too old, or installation corrupted.

- .osm file type not associated with SM. You should be able to fix this by using 'Open with...'

- The ASIO primitives in the schematic causing a problem (my soundcard has lots of I/O) - here's a version using DirectSound; maybe you'll have better luck with that...
Quadrature Experiments v6A Hilbert-2 DS.osm
(74.96 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

Let me know if the DS schematic fixes the problem - if so, I will try to upload DS versions in the future.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby lesobrod on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:50 am

Great, works fine!

Just one question:
- How do you push such complex schematics into so small-sized files?!
Pure schematic should feel some pain... 3:)

and one suggest:
- Kinda of "Normalization" for graph plot (fitting peaks to window) will be useful IMO
For a lovely bowl let's arrange these flowers... Since there is no rice. Basho (c)(p)
lesobrod
essemist

Postby trogluddite on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:59 pm

lesobrod wrote:- How do you push such complex schematics into so small-sized files?!
Pure schematic should feel some pain...

He he, I'm always a great believer in taking the path of least resistance.

Actually, the principle here is not so different from some of your recent chaotic oscillator examples - using iteration to make something complex out of a simple one-layer graphic.
The Bitmap Create at its heart receives a translated and faded copy of the previous frame, with the new graph data overlaid on top - constructing a new bitmap which is displayed as the current frame, then passed back around for the next iteration.
I've made a few different designs using this principle, you can find some more examples in these threads...
Light Trails and Psychedelic Screensavers
Goniometer
Analogue style multichannel oscilloscope
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby cyto on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:08 am

lesobrod wrote: - How do you push such complex schematics into so small-sized files?!

Also, regarding file size, remember that the primitives, modules, connections, etc. take up very little memory. It's when you start to add a bunch of "strip" knobs, backgrounds, and other embedded images that the files really start to grow in size.

-cyto
cyto
essemilian

Postby trogluddite on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:17 am

Also worth noting that SM schematics are always compressed when saving (I'm sure someone mentioned once which compression system is used, but I can't remember now).

However, when you export as .exe or .dll, the file size will get a lot bigger. They are not exported as 'compiled' binaries; but as a 'bundle' of the schematic plus a run-time version of the SM environment.
This allows the plugin to be optimised according to the CPU's SSE support (kinda useless now that just about all PCs have SSE2), and it also includes the engine for handling green triggers, and allows dynamic re-compiling (e.g. switching off unused stream components when there are routing changes).
But it does mean that .exe's and .dll's are much bigger than comparable plugins that are fully compiled from, say, the VST SDK libraries in C++. It also means that SM plugins are (in principle at least) likely to be more easily 'reverse engineered' by hackers.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby smokeysteve22 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:14 pm

trogluddite wrote:Hmm, there's been a lot of downloads of this - and no other problems reported.
The only possible causes I can think of are...

-Your version of SM is too old, or installation corrupted.

- .osm file type not associated with SM. You should be able to fix this by using 'Open with...'

- The ASIO primitives in the schematic causing a problem (my soundcard has lots of I/O) - here's a version using DirectSound; maybe you'll have better luck with that...
Quadrature Experiments v6A Hilbert-2 DS.osm

Let me know if the DS schematic fixes the problem - if so, I will try to upload DS versions in the future.

Thanks for reupload still didn't work though, im going to reinstall but before i do, is there anyway to save 'toolbox' because i don't really want to have to save all again?
smokeysteve22
essemer

Postby trogluddite on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:26 pm

I would try an 'over the top' repair installation first - could just be that there's a single default module file or something that needs popping back into place.
If you want to back up your modules, you can find them in your 'Application Data' folder. I only know Windows XP, but you should be able to find the correct folder by using the 'System Folders' primitive within SM - Just connect a string box to the 'AppData' output. Within the folder shown there, you should find a sub-folder "SynthMaker/Modules" that holds all your custom module definitions (.hom files).

One other (maybe silly) question - are you trying to load SM schematics into FlowStone? If so, you will need to change the file extension to .fsm, to make FlowStone read the file.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby McBarGig on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:04 pm

Hey Trog can I use this?
McBarGig
essemilian

Postby infuzion on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:31 pm

McBarGig wrote:Hey Trog can I use this?
Only if you promise to wear his avatar on the front of a T-Shirt to all the trade shows!
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby trogluddite on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:49 am

infuzion wrote:
McBarGig wrote:Hey Trog can I use this?

Only if you promise to wear his avatar on the front of a T-Shirt to all the trade shows!

He he, now there's an idea - the (very exclusive and expensive) T-shirts all come with one of those RFID 'anti-shoplifting' tags attached and a free web-cam. The plugin then refuses to run unless the tag is detected, and the web-cam can see that you are wearing the T-shirt. (dammit, guess I'll have to get FlowStone after all!).

@MBG...
Yes, I'm always happy for folks to use (and abuse) the stuff I post on the forum - I have nothing to lose as I don't do plugins commercially - and every download is a little bit of karma to offset the debt I accrued when I was a naughty teenager who used 'cloned' ZX Spectrum tapes!
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby McBarGig on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks Trog. I'm trying to find some cool way of graphicall representing note sustain so that users can post a graphic of the sustain profiles of their heads. This is about as close as I've seen that would work.. I don't know at this point though because I need to put a lot more thought into what exactly I want to explain graphically, and determine if its useful to the user or not...

Either way great work!

About the shirt and NAMM..:) We have only been represented there once, and that was by Acuostica when we supplied them with a Virtual amp for Mixcraft 5. Personally, I think NAMM is a cluster F%^K and probably not very useful for us.... haha
McBarGig
essemilian

Postby CoreStyler on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:26 am

really cool
http://www.thecorestylerz.net
Sound Design, synth development and websites building...
SM COMMUNITY IS MOVING TO
www.synthmakers.net
CoreStyler
essemilian

Postby tester on Tue May 01, 2012 10:36 pm

There seems to be inaccuracy error when changing the base frequency. Sine spike which has constant amplitude - sometimes is fine, sometimes is disappears. How to add horizontal (frequency) scaling, to get more octaves per view? How to remove animation and make it just flat spectrum view?
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
Thank you for your contribution.
tester
smanatic

Next

Return to Graphics