My Soundcloud

For anything and everything unrelated to SynthMaker

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

My Soundcloud

Postby Acrobat on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:14 pm

I published some audio snippets from my todays musicwork: :D
somebody told me it's rave-style, well I just consider it semi-improvised music... ;)

http://soundcloud.com/acrobat-0
Acrobat
smaniac

Re: My Soundcloud

Postby Yuroun on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:51 pm

I started following you :)

Here's mine cloud: http://soundcloud.com/yuroun/

:D
Yuroun
essemist

Postby attic on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:58 pm

@Acrobat Hey thanks for sharing, Waltz of the New Moon reminds me for some reason of something from Oingo Boingo's DeadMans Party album except with more technology. What are you using for compression on these tracks?

@Yuroun Those are really great tracks, very relaxing and enjoyable. You have some really diverse and organic sounds in there. What kinds of synths and samplers are using in your studio?

Nice work guys. ;)

Here are a couple of mine.
Short Ride to The Ground
http://www.box.com/files#/files/0/f/152155609/1/f_1351323289
Gypsy Ride
http://www.box.com/files#/files/0/f/152155609/1/f_1350893081
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Postby Yuroun on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:14 am

attic wrote:@Yuroun Those are really great tracks, very relaxing and enjoyable. You have some really diverse and organic sounds in there. What kinds of synths and samplers are using in your studio?

I use Camel Audio's Alchemy alot. I make sounds with it and sell them. It give's me a nice second income. I also use Sylenth1, Kontakt 4 and Image-line stuff.
Yuroun
essemist

Postby attic on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:46 am

Alchemy is really great I use that a lot. So do you use any out board gear or is it all in the box?

I should ask if you have any tips on the sample business as I'm headed in that direction. I carry a small digital recorder at all times and have been doing that for years now. I'm finishing up some sample playback engines here in Synthmaker and a couple in Synthedit to distribute with them. Is it Kontakt your designing samples for and do you distribute through anyone or just your own website? I figure it would be good to know the lay off the land and pitfalls, so any tips are much appreciated. ;)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Postby Yuroun on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:39 am

attic wrote:Alchemy is really great I use that a lot. So do you use any out board gear or is it all in the box?

I have a xboard 49 full with dust. Lol. I don't use a lot of hardware, because I want to be mobile. When I'm at my girlfriends house I want to do something and when I'm @my place. So, i have a good laptop with a decent studio headphone. That's enough to do what I want.

attic wrote:I should ask if you have any tips on the sample business as I'm headed in that direction.

Tips on selling or on building library's?

attic wrote:I carry a small digital recorder at all times and have been doing that for years now.

That's a good start. I do that too :)

attic wrote:I'm finishing up some sample playback engines here in Synthmaker

I want to do that too, that's why I bought SM. It's a pitty that there isn't a module like Reaktor's grain cloud in SM. I know there are some examples which use a similar process, but I can't get my head around it (for now).

attic wrote: Is it Kontakt your designing samples for and do you distribute through anyone or just your own website?

I sell more Alchemy banks so I use Alchemy ;)

I sell them on my own site. The sound banks are on Amazone's S3 and my shop sends the encrypted and expiring links to the customer. I use WP Estore for that and it works great. :)

A few of my sound set are available on Producerloops.com. That works great too, but they charge you money for that. Best is to distribute everything yourself.

Don't expect that you can live from selling sounds. I make €300 a month, but that's because I have some fan's who buy everthing I release. There are a lot of sound designers out there and the market is very competitive.

Another tip: Good quality + good price = selling
Yuroun
essemist

Postby Acrobat on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 pm

attic wrote:@Acrobat Hey thanks for sharing, Waltz of the New Moon reminds me for some reason of something from Oingo Boingo's DeadMans Party album except with more technology. What are you using for compression on these tracks?

Waltz of the New Moon is not mine, is a cover from a 1968 song written by The Incredible String Band. :) ;)
No compression on the overall mix, just a L2 limiter.
There might be some compression on the vocal track, a C1 if I remember well... ;)
Acrobat
smaniac

Postby attic on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:54 pm

@Yuroun
Some of the sounds you use remind me of a favorite sound designer. This guy Eduardo Tarilonte http://www.samplelibraries.com/. I cant afford his stuff but was lucky enough to have received a copy of his Sampled Landscape here http://www.beladmedia.com/sampled-landscape/ when I purchased kontakt used from a Craigslist ad.

I decided long ago not to use sampled libraries of any kind in my music, so I started recording anything and everything with small recorders and moved on to digital as they became available. I now have four 2tb drives full of my own samples and will soon start selling those.

I do use a lot of outboard gear in my music, but always look up to you gear minimalists.
Here is the current list although I have sold some stuff that I would like to buy again (V-synth & a Korg Karma).
Korg M3, Korg MicroX, Korg I5m, Korg Electribe MX, Roland JV 880, TC Helicon Voice Prism, Motu 2408mk3, Digi002, Roland VM-3100Pro, Akai APC40, Bunch of other misc and a few Yamaha DJXs 1, 2, and 2b all three of them have been modified and hacked to do my bidding. It is odd because I started in software with no real studio hardware, but over the years while others have eliminated hardware in favor of the computer I have found deals and worked backwards into a small hardware setup that accommodates the software setup well.

Tips on selling or on building library's?

I was curious about the selling part. I do like tips on creating libraries but I am already fairly handy at doing just that for many years now.

That's a good start. I do that too

Whats the digital recorder you use? I'm using a fairly cheap model a Zoom H2 but it sounds great. My wife laughs at me when I go scrambling for the recorder just because I heard a frog outside or the cat farted. 3:)

I want to do that too, that's why I bought SM. It's a pitty that there isn't a module like Reaktor's grain cloud in SM. I know there are some examples which use a similar process, but I can't get my head around it (for now).

I have a project that I will be sharing here with the forum soon that you maybe interested in. It has a windowed grain playback system with auxiliary pitch shifting. It is somewhat like the new Reaktor release SKANNER. When I saw they released that it felt like they had beat me to the punch but then after trying it mine is fairly different and I like what I have better. The cpu usage is high right now so as soon as I get that in check I will upload it here and let you know its available. So what are the things you would like to build with Synthmaker, sounds like you need a grain player? Are you working with the .sfz sample stuff or is it mostly .wav that your interested in? Maybe I have some parts.

I just checked out Amazone's S3, I have huge amounts of samples so it sounds as if Amazone's could work for me but how does it tie in with WP Estore... Is it a manual system or do you have the expiring link system automated to send on credit card acceptance & check out? I will look at the WP Estore sometime today. Its good to have another person around here that is doing the sample thing. A lot of the stuff you see here is very Synth centric but Synthmaker has much potential for sample playback systems. I could have gone the Reaktor or Kontakt route but I didn't want to be tied into a proprietary system. I think that vsti is the better choice, also I have noticed that Native Instruments seems to have dropped support for small developers with their kontakt sampler. I also design in Synthedit and from what I have been hearing it will end up cross platform on the Apple side in the new version. If you end up using Synthedit check out the CK modules they cost but he has some great stuff for quickly developing different types of Sample and Grain players so the time saved maybe worth the dollars for you. Let me know if you feel like collaborating on some playback stuff.

@Acrobat
I came back and listened to the rest of your files. I like that synth sound in QQ 9 dicembre 2011 (snippet) SOLmaj
I listened to them all back to back and it made for an enjoyable afternoon really nice work and thanks for sharing. I also noticed you have a very clean sound I will have to try that L2 limiter, is that a Wavs plugin? I have been slapping the Izotope Ozone plugin on most things lately but need to leave my comfort zone and branch out a bit.

One last question for both of you, what are you guys using for soundcards?

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Postby Yuroun on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:36 pm

attic wrote:@Yuroun
Some of the sounds you use remind me of a favorite sound designer. This guy Eduardo Tarilonte

Yes I know him. Thanks for the compliment. He's one of my favorites too. I have him on my Soundcloud and exchanged a few words with him a few months back. It's a nice guy and very talented.

attic wrote:I decided long ago not to use sampled libraries of any kind in my music, so I started recording anything and everything with small recorders and moved on to digital as they became available. I now have four 2tb drives full of my own samples and will soon start selling those.

Damn... I have one 500 gig drive and it's only half full. :D

attic wrote:Whats the digital recorder you use? I'm using a fairly cheap model a Zoom H2 but it sounds great. My wife laughs at me when I go scrambling for the recorder just because I heard a frog outside or the cat farted. 3:)

I have the same recorder as you, but I'm saving for H4N. That one has a XLR so I can plug in a condser mic.

attic wrote:I have a project that I will be sharing here with the forum soon that you maybe interested in. It has a windowed grain playback system with auxiliary pitch shifting. It is somewhat like the new Reaktor release SKANNER. When I saw they released that it felt like they had beat me to the punch but then after trying it mine is fairly different and I like what I have better.

I'm looking forward to see what you have done.

attic wrote:Are you working with the .sfz sample stuff or is it mostly .wav that your interested in? Maybe I have some parts.

I love sample mangling so I'm not really interested in SFZ. My first SM thingy was made in FL Synthmaker and was sample based. It was some soundscape maker. It uses a lot of cpu power. But the result was a bit what I had in mind. I didn't know exactly what I was doïng, so I decided to start with some tutorials here and build a non sample based synth. So I could understand SM better. You can download my first product from last week here: http://www.yuroun-sound.net/uploads/YurDrone.osm.

attic wrote:I just checked out Amazone's S3, I have huge amounts of samples so it sounds as if Amazone's could work for me but how does it tie in with WP Estore...

WP Estore build a encrypted and signed link and send that one to the customer. You can set the expiration date. It's pretty easy and secure.

attic wrote: If you end up using Synthedit check out the CK modules they cost but he has some great stuff for quickly developing different types of Sample and Grain players so the time saved maybe worth the dollars for you. Let me know if you feel like collaborating on some playback stuff.

Hahaha man, I just started with SM. Besides, I looked at SynthEdit last week and couldn't find my way in it. But I'm allways interested in doing collab stuff. Don't expect too much from me, because I just started with designing stuff in SM last week. I have used to be a programmer so I can pick up thing pretty fast. But designing synths is a different thing then working on mainframes in assembler and/or Cobol.

attic wrote:One last question for both of you, what are you guys using for soundcards?

The one that comes with my laptop :)
Yuroun
essemist

Postby Acrobat on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:40 am

attic wrote:@Acrobat
I came back and listened to the rest of your files. I like that synth sound in QQ 9 dicembre 2011 (snippet) SOLmaj
I listened to them all back to back and it made for an enjoyable afternoon really nice work and thanks for sharing. I also noticed you have a very clean sound I will have to try that L2 limiter, is that a Wavs plugin? I have been slapping the Izotope Ozone plugin on most things lately but need to leave my comfort zone and branch out a bit.

If you are talking about the snippets, the sound appears "clean" because those are real machines, no post processing, just the output from the mixer, real time mixing and effects, no comp or limiting, no nothing. Otherwise, if you are talking about the other tracks in the second set, those are coming from digital masterings, yes, I used to use Waves plugs at the old studio, but now I changed hoem/studio/everything. Even friends. AAH AH AH

One last question for both of you, what are you guys using for soundcards?

My soundcard is broken, it was a Delta1010LT, now I'm using an Audiophile 2496 kindly offered by a friend who doesn't use it anymore. SAD He can't find back the breakout box so I can't use MIDI. crazy.pity. anyway as I already said, I play music without computers nowadays, I just use that card to decently record the sessions. Those are just cuts and not the best parts, my sessions usually last for about 15-20 minutes. Not exactly broadcast lengths. I'm getting wilder and nastier than before, I'm doing strange things these days but I like it! ;)

What about your set?
Acrobat
smaniac

Postby Acrobat on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:52 am

Yuroun wrote:I started following you :)

Here's mine cloud: http://soundcloud.com/yuroun/

:D

I already commented my favorite ttracks directly on Soundcloud, the stuff is very well done and relaxing, from my point of view I hear a lot of emprty spaces to be filled but maybe you like less informations in time and that's probably wiser in the sense you don't overwhelm the listener... :D ... this doesn't stop me from jamming along, I wonder if there's a functon on Soundcloud to add jams or if I should download and overdub locally, there re-upload the result. This gonna be automated! ;)
Acrobat
smaniac

Postby Yuroun on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Acrobat wrote:I already commented my favorite ttracks directly on Soundcloud, the stuff is very well done and relaxing, from my point of view I hear a lot of emprty spaces to be filled

Less = more ;)
Yuroun
essemist

Postby Yuroun on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 pm

attic wrote:So what are the things you would like to build with Synthmaker, sounds like you need a grain player? Are you working with the .sfz sample stuff or is it mostly .wav that your interested in? Maybe I have some parts.

This sentence inpsired me to try to build a simple library-player for my own sound library's. So, any help i much appreciated :)
Yuroun
essemist

Postby Acrobat on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:59 am

Yuroun wrote:Less = more ;)

ya, this is the man who told it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Mies_van_der_Rohe
Acrobat
smaniac

Postby attic on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Less = more ;)

http://synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10692&p=79857#p79857

The trouble begins with a design philosophy that equates “more options” with “greater freedom.” … In my experience, the instruments and tools that endure (because they are loved by their users) have limited options.

- Brian Eno in Wired Magazine, 1999

There is always the option of having a hidden “expert” panel with some additional options for special situations.

North Bay Music Attic
attic
essemilian

Next

Return to Off topic