Vowels

If you require help or assistance with anything then please post here

Moderators: electrogear, exonerate

Re: Vowels

Postby tester on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 pm

I was wondering. How to change the pitch if the input is noise? (as a result - nice whispering)
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
Thank you for your contribution.
tester
smanatic

Postby pall on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Nice work Martin. I wonder how it sounds in chorus ( and in chords). I do research in this sense. And thanks!
Cheers!
pall
essemilian

Postby trogluddite on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Some more great teamwork paying off - this is looking (sounding!) very nice indeed!
infuzion wrote:I'd want to test if the hops go out of sync.

I did some extensive testing of this when I first started using hopped packs and unpacks. The 'ecx' register is AFAIK used as SM's internal sample counter and is rock solid - the value is global to the whole schematic, and will not change when execution passes from one code block to another - it just increments by one for every sample period.
I think some other registers are also used internally by SM - I guess that is why the assembler only recognises 'eax' for most of the x86 opcodes, and why 'ecx' must be copied into 'eax' before calculating hops.
Feel free to use any schematics and algorithms I post on the forum in your own designs - a credit is appreciated (but not a requirement).
Don't stagnate, mutate to create. Without randomness and serendipity the earth would be just another barren rock.
trogluddite
smychopath

Postby infuzion on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:22 am

stw wrote:
infuzion wrote:
martinvicanek wrote:I think there's no real need for the three de-zippers before the filter (coeffs are already blue there). However, I'd throw some in in the green yx path.
...De-zippers themselves are 1 pole filters. The hops can be made smaller if one is worried about zippering. Or put the Pack8 inside the XY mix; I'd want to test if the hops go out of sync. I'd experiment with & without big hops & De-zippers either way.
Also, why is the filter mono, or atleast the c/b input? Why go though all that packing? Maybe I'm misreading the code...
For the zippers - i didn't test if they are of any use here. I just left them in to prevent any glitches from the hopped code. I guess the dezippers are more efficient than a less hopped code in this case. I'd always prefer to choose higher hops in combinmation with a dezipper if the code is worth it. BTW the dezipper isn't a usual 1pole filter because it generates linear transitions whereas the 1pole filter does exponential fades.
The filter is mono because it's an optimized 4 pack version of martins original 5 2pole serial filter approach. I took 4 of the 2poles into one 4pack. That's the reason for all that packing. Unfortunately the filter design demands 5 2pole filters so i had to deal with the last one with some extra calculation. That's the reason for that whole fpu code.
Ah yes thanks for the linear De-zipper reminder! You can merge the Octal Packs into the Coeffs x-fade to cut the cycles needed by about 2/3 (since the code that is usually running is the actual hop stuff). From there, you can experiment with lowering that one hop samplerate. I think I'm more focused on keeping green triggers low & green -> stream sampling accurate since I can assume people will do wild & precise (starting/end points) automation.

I still don't understand your filter; the "a, b, c, etc" variable names with no comment/Code to refer to do not help. Perhaps I'm becoming too old & senile to wrap my mind around it; reading Ruby & JavaScript withDescriptiveVariableNames === selfDocumentationCoding has spoiled me. (apologies with those who web-translate)

If you have time, please diagram, or improve the variable names, or something?

Thanks Trog for the testing results!
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby stw on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:56 am

infuzion wrote: You can merge the Octal Packs into the Coeffs x-fade to cut the cycles needed by about 2/3 (since the code that is usually running is the actual hop stuff). From there, you can experiment with lowering that one hop samplerate. I think I'm more focused on keeping green triggers low & green -> stream sampling accurate since I can assume people will do wild & precise (starting/end points) automation.

I still don't understand your filter; the "a, b, c, etc" variable names with no comment/Code to refer to do not help. Perhaps I'm becoming too old & senile to wrap my mind around it; reading Ruby & JavaScript withDescriptiveVariableNames === selfDocumentationCoding has spoiled me. (apologies with those who web-translate)

If you have time, please diagram, or improve the variable names, or something?

Yes you're right. I could have made it a bit more explaining though it's sometimes hard to find the right variable names. But at least i should have documented better. However i'm not a big fan of that endlesslongselfExplainingVariablenamethingy and so i sometimes forget that it may be easyer to read for the outer world...
So here's a more descriptive version.

I don't think that the packing inside the x-fade code would save cycles because the packings are hopped itself. I didn't merge these modules on purpose and for different reasons.
1. I definitely don't want to deal with app. 50 inputs in one code module!
2. Hopping of the packing could be way higher than the x-fade code. Or the other way round - if you really want that sharp transitons you just can comment the hop out of the x-fade code without touching the packing.
3. Despite my other description failings i'd say the detachment of packing gives a better overview of what's going on.

Hope that makes things easier to understand...

VowelFilterMorphXY2-Mono-stream.osm
better explaining version, no difference in code
(43.79 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
stw
smanatic

Postby Xtinct on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Example synth
XYXY VST.png
XYXY VST.png (118.84 KiB) Viewed 1862 times

XYXY.rar
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 149 times
Xtinct
essemilian

Postby tester on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Could you post osm schematic or standalone exe?
I know I know - I am just lazy sometimes ;-)
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
tester
smanatic

Postby tektoog on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Xtinct wrote:Example synth

Nice job!
Sounds pretty good... And nice GUI too...
Essential random order for chaotic repetitive sequences
tektoog
essemilian

Postby Xtinct on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:28 am

Hi Tester heres the exe
XYXY.rar
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 119 times

Tektoog :D :D :D
If I can please my peers I'm doing somthing right
Xtinct
essemilian

Postby martinvicanek on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:23 am

Sounds great, thanks for sharing!!
martinvicanek
essemilian

Postby Xtinct on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:47 am

To quote Placebo without you I'm nothing
those fiters rock :D :D :D
Xtinct
essemilian

Postby infuzion on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:19 am

Xtinct wrote:Hi Tester heres the exe
XYXY.rar
If I can please my peers I'm doing somthing right
The dual-filter with reverb is a great idea! Implemented well also, except I think I hear digital clipping.
Need help? First search the forum & WiKi, then post in the help forum with a clear topic, request, & OSM. Then please WiKi the correct solution. If you want my personal assistance, I charge by the hour or for an exchange of services.
infuzion
smstar
smstar

Postby Xtinct on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:11 am

Yeah the O's and U's in the filter can seriously boost the bass into clipping, thats the reason for the bass cut.
Will look into any other sources and upload any changes.
Xtinct
essemilian

Postby tester on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Nice Xtinct, forgot to say thank you. Better later than never ;-)

I have a question regarding the formant filter itself, because I'd like to implement it in my next project. One thing I don't understand and can't find inside OSM is the control over the "fundamental pitch" of the vowel filter morph. While it does not matter for sawtooth input, it does when the input is "general audio" like included noise or other kind of ordinary sound.

With noise input in above example - I have only one constant pitch there. What I don't want is to change the pitch of the output sound. I'd like to have a frequency-based control over the pitch of filtering itself.

Can someone help?
tester
smanatic

Postby billv on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:23 pm

stw wrote:VowelFilterMorphXY2-Mono-stream.osm
better explaining version, no difference in code

I hooked it up to stock VSTi. Sounds great but:
1.3 Cpu while playing- unreal.
5.6 When not playing- ????????

Anyone got an idea of why the jump to 5.6 or how to fix??
BV MUSIC SYDNEY AUSTRALIA-http://users.tpg.com.au/billv
Songwriting & Software Development.
billv
essemilian

PreviousNext

Return to Help